Speakers still cutting out....

• 13 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

So for some reason my last post was closed without a resolution:

So I am following up here:

Ok so here’s a delayed brief update on my deleted post above…

I replaced my home router and extender with a new ASUS mesh router and then spent 4 hours getting all my Sonos devices onto the new network (despite I having the same name and password as the previous one, all my other devices in my house joined seamlessly). Like before the main soundbar was connected via Ethernet the system continued to cut out intermittently and a few days later unfortunately the new mesh extender I had just purchased died and I had to return to the manufacturer and get a replacement. When the replacement mesh router arrived I set them up again and spent another 4 hours trying to get my Sonos to connect to the network (with the new router). The system seemed to be behaving well and the sound did not drop out but this time the sub woofer in my living room was not playing any audio despite saying it was successfully connected to my Sonos network. After trying multiple resetting and troubleshooting options from this website I called tech support and the agent told me that it was because of he main soundbar was connected via Ethernet and should be using the WiFi  instead which is totally contradictory to every else I have been told on this forum.

Needless to say when I switched the soundbar to WiFi the sub starting producing sound perfectly, however I am now back to square one because it is once again cutting out intermittently exactly the same before I started all this months ago…

Anyone else have any suggestions please? otherwise I will likely have to get rid of my Sonos.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You might have understood wrong. When cable connecting a soundbar you should not turn off “WiFi” because that will turn off all things radio on the soundbar - closing the dedicated 5 GHz link to the surrounds and the Sub. So despite the fact you’ve cable connected the soundbar, you need to keep WiFi turned on.

In your other post you seem to mention you are using a Connect:amp (not the more modern Sonos Amp) for surround while not having it cable connected. I’ve always read that the Connect:amp does not do 5Ghz (the more modern Amp does) and so should always be cable connected when used for surround duty. Does your experience differ?

Badge

You might have understood wrong. When cable connecting a soundbar you should not turn off “WiFi” because that will turn off all things radio on the soundbar - closing the dedicated 5 GHz link to the surrounds and the Sub. So despite the fact you’ve cable connected the soundbar, you need to keep WiFi turned on.

In your other post you seem to mention you are using a Connect:amp (not the more modern Sonos Amp) for surround while not having it cable connected. I’ve always read that the Connect:amp does not do 5Ghz (the more modern Amp does) and so should always be cable connected when used for surround duty. Does your experience differ?

Thank you for your response.

The soundbar does still have an ethernet cable going into it and within the app the WiFi is still enabled.

The connect amp used to be connected with an ethernet cable but when I upgraded to a mesh network it was impossible to get it to work on ethernet so despite still having the ethernet cable connected to it Wifi is still enabled within the app, I dont have any issues with my surround. I have a connect amp because the newer Sonos amp wasn't available when I bought the system.

Its so confusing that there is not 1 actual answer as to how the system should be configured and every where I turn I receive conflicting answers.

Do you have any issues with yours ? 

Here is the official FAQ. 

Badge

Here is the official FAQ. 

Thanks Airgetlam I will have a read but I have intermittent random cutting out from most of my speakers, my connect amp (surrounds) behave relatively normal.

Badge

Does anyone know if Klipsch has these same cutting out issues ? Was listening to a set recently and they have incredible sound.

Badge

This was literally my sonos last night as I was skipping between songs 😂

Hear link below:

Sonos Tripping ?