Answered

Spatial Audio help

• 24 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am having problems recognizing if spatial audio is even working or not.

1. In my living room I have a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and 2x Era 100 which are set up as rear speakers behind my sofa and connected to the Beam. Also I have a Sub Mini connected to the Beam. The other day before I had the Sub Mini I felt like I could hear what Spatial Audio is all about but now since the Sub Mini is connected I don’t really hear anything spatial. If I disconnect the Sub Mini it seems better but not sure if I am imagining that.
  2. In my bedroom I have 1xEra 300. Not really noticing any spatial audio at all! 

I have done Trueplay several times in both rooms and the spatial audio switch is on in the settings.

Any ideas? A good song to use for testing?

Do I need 2xEra 300 to really get the true spatial audio effect? 🤔😔

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 24 April 2023, 17:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

When playing a song in spatial audio, you will see the Dolby Atmos logo displayed on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app.

Spatial audio music will sound good through your Beam + Sub Mini + Era 100s setup. But a pair of Era 300s will probably sound better since it adds two height channels. An Arc + Sub + Era 300s setup is the best option.

Test these songs in Dolby Atmos:

"Rocket Man" - Elton John
"Riders on the Storm" - The Doors
"Take On Me" - a-ha
"BOOM" - Tiesto & Sevenn
“Space Oddity” - Davie Bowie
“Chasing Utopia” - xPropaganda
“Into the Mystic” - Van Morrison
“On the Run” - Pink Floyd
“Drive” - R.E.M.
“Personal Shopper” - Steven Wilson
“Come Away With Me” - Norah Jones
“End of Night” - Tears for Fears
“Harridan” - Porcupine Tree
“Tour de France / Prologue / Etape 1 / Chrono / Etape 2” - Kraftwerk
“Exotic Contents” - Max Cooper

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah I am definitely playing Dolby Atmos tracks through the Sonos app.

Through the Beam gen 2 together with the era 100s it sounds noticeable on Drive by REM for example. Playing the same song on just my era 300 I don’t really notice anything so I am a bit disappointed with the era 300 so far. Perhaps I need to try it in a different room and different positions. 

Userlevel 7

Yeah I am definitely playing Dolby Atmos tracks through the Sonos app.

Through the Beam gen 2 together with the era 100s it sounds noticeable on Drive by REM for example. Playing the same song on just my era 300 I don’t really notice anything so I am a bit disappointed with the era 300 so far. Perhaps I need to try it in a different room and different positions. 

For the Era 300, find a room with a 8-9 foot flat ceiling and sit about 8-9 feet from the speaker. Also, a single Era 300 does a good job playing spatial audio music for a single speaker, but it cannot compete with a multi-speaker setup with actual surround speakers. Although a pair of Era 300s in the right room setup comes pretty close.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, have ordered another era 300…. we’ll see. 🙏

Not impressed even with the stereo separation with just the one speaker.