Answered

SONY BRAVIA & PLAY:5

• 17 October 2022
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

I have just purchased a Sony Bravia 2022 model. Upgraded from an LG. I was able to hook up to my Sonos Play:5 on the LG. Now, I cannot for the life of me work out how to get it to work with the new television. Help!!! 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 October 2022, 13:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not sure I really understand, but the only way to connect a PLAY:5 to a TV set directly is via the analog line in. So yourTV would need to provide an analog output of some type. 

Hey Bruce. Thanks for the response. Previously I was able to connect my Play:5 wirelessly through Apple TV. And then I grouped my Play:1 onto it so could have both available. 

AirPlay 2 should work exactly the same as it did before. The TV is not involved in that connection. 

Okay. So I need to have the Apple TV box attached and not use the Apple TV (as an app) on the TV.  Is that right? 

I’m not familiar with the app on the TV set, unfortunately. Does it also work with AirPlay 2? If so, you could just use that without using the external Apple TV box….but if not, the same setup as your previous TV would get you what you wanted. 

You’re somewhat challenged by using a Sonos device as a TV speaker which wasn’t designed for that use. The maximum signal the Sonos PLAY:5 can get from AirPlay 2 is stereo, where all of Sonos soundbars, including the Sonos Ray, the Sonos Beam, and the Sonos Arc, are all designed for at least Dolby Digital 5.1 signals, or higher. 

I’d give a lot of consideration to moving that PLAY:5 to music only duty, and connecting one of Sonos’ soundbars to your TV set. 

Bruce. Thanks so so much for your help. So very much appreciated.