Sonos used to be better

• 28 December 2023
  • 10 replies

Honestly just disappointed with Sonos overall lately.  Used to be great audio and an easy system to interface with Spotify.  Now it just seems like constant disconnects, and delayed pickups, and Sonos wants to blame the router or Spotify, but it’s them.  The router is fine after numerous reboots and diagnostics, all other WiFi devices in the home are fine.  Doesn’t make sense and Sonos is the outlier.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So you don’t want to try and fix your System?

I’ve been trying for some time, and the only outlier still seems the be the Sonos devices.  I welcome your recommendations. 

All of the devices are current on system updates, as is the App on my phone.

As is the firmware on my router, and it’s been rebooted countless times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As has been said on many threads in the past, the demands on the network when multiple data packets need to be sent reliably, in sequence, and for several minutes or hours at a time (ie a music stream) is much greater than when sending, say, a file to a printer. 

An often-suggested solution is to power down router and all Sonos devices and wait a few minutes. Then restart the router, waiting until it is fully restarted and sending the wifi signal. Then reboot Sonos devices, one at a time. After that, allocating ip addresses to devices prevents any risk of duplicate ip addresses on a system. 

Manufacturers of routers, TV’s etc will often push updates to their devices. When these restart, ip address conflicts can be an issue if you haven’t assigned them already. 

This may not fix your issues, @DanielGD, but it did solve mine - several years ago - and it has resolved it for many others experiencing system dropouts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Are you connecting using WiFi or do you have a Sonos wired and are using SonosNet?

Have you followed the Sonos suggestions for improving the Sonos connectivity?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/improve-your-sonos-products-wifi-connection

A lot of issues are either other devices blocking Sonos connections or the Sonos themselves being in bad locations. Keeping RF noisy devices three feet away from your Sonos can help. Keep you Sonos that far apart too.

Probably not the router but there may be settings tweaks for it if you will tell us which one you have.

Thanks nik9669a - I did try this step by step to unplug everything, reboot the router, wait for it to be fully online, and then plugged each Sonos device back in and waited for each one to connect before connecting the next one.  Unfortunately still having the same probably immediately, especially with the Sonos One device in the kitchen that is also tied to Sub Mini.  There are three other Sonos One’s on the network, which intermittently have the same problem.  There is also a Roam which is occasionally on.

Stanley_4:  I will look through those steps.  My router is an Arris Surfboard SBG8300.

I reviewed this article:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/improve-your-sonos-products-wifi-connection

All devices in the Sonos app settings show “Excellent Connection”.

Lowest SNR is 49 (Sonos One in office and furthest from router), highest is 75 (subwoofer nearest router).

I will look at the items re: channel, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t see any issues mentioned with your router.

Probably best to wait for the issue then send in a diagnostic and directly contact Sonos Support to have them look at it and discuss what they see. We users are not able to access that information.