Skip to main content

Sonos SL rear speakers sound going in and out like waves

• 3 December 2022
  • 1 reply

I have two Sonos One SLs in the back at equal distance and a Sonos Arc at the front connected via wifii and eHDMI. I bought the rear speakers last week. I’m watching a soccer game and the sound in the rear speakers literally sounds like waves. The sound of the crowd comes in and out over the voice of the commentators so noticeably it’s making me nauseous. I had to turn them off. I had a Samsung 5.1.2 surround system and it did not do this.

It doesn’t happen only with games. It happens with shows and movies as well. The sound in certain scenes comes in and out in waves and I believe it’s when somebody is talking. Is this a bug? A malfunction? This is terrible quality so far.

This is a video that I posted on Reddit and you can clearly hear it. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PM_8e8 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

What format does the Sonos app report is playing when this is happening? If it’s a stereo source, then what you are hearing could be the Arc’s attempts to redirect (upmix) some of the audio to the surrounds, which the complex noise of a crowd is confusing. Your average HD football match is recorded in surround sound, however, so if you are receiving a stereo feed, there should be some settings on your TV or source device that will improve matters - probably Output Audio Format or Digital Output Format. Options to try are Auto, Bitstream or Passthrough.

If you are receiving a 5.1 (or Atmos) signal, however, I recommend a reboot of the Arc - unplug it for 10 seconds. A reboot of the TV could conceivably help too - unplug it for at least 2 minutes. 

I hope this helps.