Answered

Sonos Skipping Songs in Playlists

• 14 February 2023
  • 8 replies

This happens most often with Sonos but also with my music library. It just skips songs in the middle. it says it can’t read the song suddenly and then skips it. This happens if I use Sonos via my phone or my computer. And whether I go through the Sonos app or the Tidal app.

Now I know some people will say I should reactivate my Tidal account. The problem is I do that and it works for a few hours but then we’re back to skipping. If the solution is every couple of hours to logout and relogin or install and uninstall apps, I’d rather get my money back for false adverting and just wire my house with speakers the way we did in the old days.  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 February 2023, 21:27

View original

8 replies

It’s more likely your network that the speakers are connected to, although there’s not enough information to be 100% sure. 

I’d start with a simple network refresh. Try unplugging all of your Sonos devices from power, and reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot, then plug back in your Sonos devices and see how they react. If you’re unable to recreate this “skipping” affect, then I’d suggest that you look in your router’s manual on to how to reserve IP addresses for your Sonos (and pretty much all devices) on your network. This process deals with several possible scenarios, it’s hard to pin down which one is the issue. 

However, if this doesn’t resolve the issues, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

I didn’t know people could just mark their own answers best. That’s why I hate these forums! there’s no way to know if anyone actually knows what they are talking about or they just reply a lot and then upvote themselves

I see so many people having this problem with playlists skipping that I thought someone who had solved this issue might chime in and tell me what they did.

I did a network refresh as I have done many times in the past and again it only worked for a few hours. I am not going to figure out IP stuff. I had no idea when I bought a product like this I would have to be a technical genius. I never would have bought it.

In terms of network, I have an extender. Sonos tells me to plug one speaker into the extender. When I do that, I get skips, When I don’t do that, I can only use the speaker on the extender alone OR the other two speakers in a group.

So that seems like a technical issue on their part. Not allowed to use extenders was not anywhere on the frigging literature.

I am having the same issues. Ever since I switched to another router at my new home it skips every few songs. So annoying especially with a party. Sonos has said that it is switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz and to have my router switch to 2.4 GHz because that’s what Sonos runs on. I did that and still have the problem. I even upgraded to Eero 6 pro extenders to make sure it’s not a bad Wi-Fi issue. I’m still having this problem. Very annoying 

No device is fond of frequent switching between 2.4 and 5Ghz, they prefer stable connections, especially devices that stream audio or video. 

For what it’s worth, the ‘best’ answer is a choice made by the OP, or by Sonos. I certainly didn’t suggest it was the only answer. The Sonos is a network device, for any particular symptom, there can be many different answers. 

Same issue - which is a new issue - for years never had this problem. Nothing changed in the network / house otherwise. Just sonos started skipping all the time for no reason.

Suspect it is a bad sonos software update to blame.

Odd. My update changed nothing on my Sonos connectivity. Any possibility you have a network issue there? Either from outside your house, or from within? The first thing that leaps to mind when connectivity starts failing after an update is IP address issues, but there could be other reasons. And I don’t see thousands if new complaints post the update about connectivity. Surely if it were a Sonos software issue, it would be hitting everyone equally? 

What did Sonos say when you ran a diagnostic within ten minutes of one of these drops, and called in to them with the diagnostic number, the only ‘hard data’ way to figure out what’s going on?

I’m having the same skipping issue. Tried rebooting the routing, but that didn’t help. 

Having this problem now. Started out of the blue - only thing that changed recently was accepting the Sonos Voice update that was pushed on me. I’ve since turned it off and it’s still skipping. 

The software that runs Sonos systems just isn’t worth the headache, especially for the price point. It’s horrendous. First time posting anything but I have been dealing with issues here and there the past two years since I upgraded to all Sonos equipment and man am I regretting it.