Answered

Sonos server on LG TV

• 3 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi. Each time I add a new sonos speaker/soundbar to my system, my LG TV sees a new sonos server with each one, which show up on screen. However, none of these will allow me to play any music stored on my synology NAS. The music appears under music shares and all tracks are there but I get “this file not recognised”.  When I access music via my NAS drive server, all music will play. Several questions: Why all these servers for each speaker? Why can’t I access music through them? Can I get rid of them?

Regards, Mike 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 3 March 2023, 21:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I’m really confused by your post. What do you consider a “server”? The use of that term doesn’t match anything I’m accustomed to.

In general terms, you should be looking in the Sonos controller, preferably on a mobile device, not the LG TV’s recognition of speakers that may be attached to your LAN. You won’t be “playing music” from your LG, but from the Sonos controller itself.  

In order to set up your Synology, you need to define the NAS as a source in the Sonos controller. Follow the instructions here

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I see the same thing, sort of buried in my TV’s menus under Media Servers where it looks to be listing my MyBook drive and all my non-sub/surround Sonos including some that have been gone for years.

The TV allows me to hide them and since they don’t do anything that is what I have done.

I’m going to look into getting rid of at least the ones that are long gone and hiding my new stuff that isn’t already hidden

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Still working from the TV menus, I found options to delete all servers, update server list and show/hide servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My Samsung has done this forever, it is because the TV thinks every Sonos device is a DLNA device, but they are not (UPnP is a subset of DLNA). I fixed it by making my TV use the “guest” wifi network on my router, so it could not see the Sonos devices (as most guest networks block inter-device comms).

Thanks for all replies. I’m trying to find out if my TV offers any server options as mentioned. To Airgetlam: It’s not what I understand by the term server. The point is why does my TV respond to the addition of any Sonos product to my system by assigning a server designation to them? I have set up my NAS music library on my  sonos system already.

Seems like the best advice is to ignore these extra sonos servers anyway.