Answered

Sonos S2 App looses speakers (Rooms)

• 25 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I have the S2 App on my android (Samsung S22) and once its all set up 4 rooms with 13 speakers in 4 rooms, then mysteriously it looses 3 of the rooms,

Room 1 - Beam and 2 x Play 1s;

Room 2 - 2 x Play 3s and two Play 1s;

Room 3 - 2 Play 3s and two play 1s; and 

Room 4 two Play 1s;

It looses everything but Room 1.  It doesn't seem to be anything specific, sometimes I can reboot my phone and they all come back other times not.  I do have a Sonos Boost, but not sure if Its part of the problem or just something else to consider.

Help please, can we get the S2 App updated?  is there something easy I can do?  Most days I have to reset each speaker and setup the rooms again!  Ridiculous.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 April 2023, 16:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Please try this:

Unplug all Sonos devices from power.

Reboot your router.

Wait 2 minutes.

Plug back in all Sonos devices to power.

Wait 2 minutes.

Test.

Might also be worth looking at the wifi interference FAQ. 

Bruce,

Thank you, that did bring everything back, but do I have to do this everyday?  My step-daughter has 12 speakers in multiple rooms and she never has this issue mind you they’re all S1 devices and app.

Also do not think its Wi-Fi Interference since no device is within 3 yards of the router.

No, certainly not. This process is a simplified way of making sure that your router hasn’t gotten ‘mixed up’ in its process of handing out IP addresses. Some routers get in an odd state sometimes (maybe power surges?) and the process of running an update of Sonos software causes each Sonos to request a new IP they reboot. 

This process forced your router to reload its OS (and DHCP table), and normally speaking, it shouldn’t do this again, unless there’s another event that causes it to ‘lose its place’ again.

You certainly can make this a more permanent fix by reading your router’s manual on how to assign ‘reserved’ IP addresses for connected devices, and setting up all your Sonos with them. First time I did it, it was 10 minutes of terror for the first one, then once I’d figured out what was happening, about 10 seconds for each. ;) I went ahead and followed the advice I’d seen elsewhere and assigned reserved IP addresses for all ‘permanent’ devices on my network, and left the ‘floating’ assignments for things like my phone, and other guests who visited. 

But if this fills you with fear, no worries. You can always just redo the above procedure if it happens again, when there is a software update.