Skip to main content

Dear Community,

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing two Roams to play in stereo. Wolud someone please advise whether speakers will work with the Huawei 628 modem router? Speakers can also will play in stereo mode connected to phone/ laptop (Windows 10) and other devices via bluetooth without wifi?  

For first configuration I going to use stable wifi, Huawei 628 is only my alternative when I’m traveling.

Hi @deep80 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There’s no mention of the Huawei 628 in our Incompatible Network Hardware list, but that router is an LTE router (meaning it connects to mobile/cellular networks) which we do not support. That doesn’t mean it won’t work, however - just that our technical support team will not troubleshoot such a system. There’s a distinct possibility that it won’t work, though (which may depend on either the router or the brand of SIM card fitted).

A stereo pair of Roams will need a WiFi network to remain a stereo pair - if there’s no WiFi, you may be able to Bluetooth to both speakers at the same time (if the host device specifically supports doing that), but playback would unlikely to be in true stereo - more likely, dual mono.

You shouldn’t have any trouble Bluetooth-ing to a stereo pair of Roams on your home broadband WiFi.

If you buy direct from our store, you will have 100 days to decide and test - if you’re not happy, return the units for a full refund. We will cover all shipping costs.

I hope this helps.

Hello Corry,

thank you very much for explanation, it helped regards to my decision which speakres I will choose. However I decided to go towards other brand due to reasons related practically to the need of having constant Wi-Fi to play content in stereo without any problem and slightly small battery capacity compared to the competition, an inductive charger and using Roam while charging (I don’t know if possible as well in stereo) is a great idea, but it is also an additional cost. Stable Wi-Fi connection in general is a great feature and gives a lot, but in my opinion, this disqualifies Roam as a mobile speaker. There will certainly be situations in which there will be no Wi-Fi, and since it’s not certain that Roam will work with my mobile LTE Internet source it’s to risky and purchasing an additional device and taking it everywhere with me to create stable wifi is pointless.  

Hi @deep80 

You are very welcome!

Dare I say it I’m glad to hear you have settled on a solution that will better fit your needs - better that than you purchasing Roams and being unsatisfied, I feel.

I think it’s fair to point out that Roams are Sonos Smart Speakers that happen to be portable and support Bluetooth, rather than being “straight-up” portable Bluetooth speakers - not only does this explain the price difference, but also the differences in functionality (multiroom playback and voice assistant support, to name just two) and power consumption.

The important thing is that you enjoy your tunes!