Answered

Sonos reset not remembered

• 24 July 2023
  • 6 replies

I set up a Netgear mesh system around the home for better Wi-Fi coverage. I’ve spent almost 2 hours attempting to have my Sonos system run on the stronger, better coverage mesh system.  I’ve set all of my speakers, 8 in all, to the Netgear Wi-Fi, which has a different I.D than my main router. All my speakers showed up in my Sonos app, except my Move, and have played music through all speakers after changing the Wi-Fi to the Netgear mesh. Now when opening the Sonos app it doesn’t show any speakers set up in my system.  The app searches for my speakers but cannot find them after trying for about 15 minutes.  Do I need to do a hard reset?  I followed the instructions within the app to change my Wi-Fi.  At first it was successful.  Not so much now.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for any help.

icon

Best answer by ratty 24 July 2023, 20:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

1. Don’t factory reset anything.
  2. Disable the WiFi on your main router.

Ok ratty ... thanks for the response. I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks

By way of explanation:

By default your primary Netgear node will contain a router. A Sonos controller on one side of a router can’t see speakers on the other side.

Disabling the WiFi on the internet router stops a mobile, or indeed any Sonos units, from connecting to the ‘wrong’ side of the Netgear primary.

If you can’t disable the internet router’s WiFi then either remove those credentials entirely from your phones and Sonos, or else put the Netgear into bridge/access-point mode (which disables its own router function).

Thanks ratty.  The Netgear signal throughout my house was stronger than my ATT signal ( main router). I was tired of some of my speakers dropping off the service by being too far away from my main router. When I decided to switch wifi to the stronger Netgear, the Sonos app recognized it and told me ' lets fix it' at the top of the app.  It all went well. Hardest part was finding the speaker the app wanted to set up next and the time it took setting up 8 speakers.  They were all listed in the app and were working, checking their volume individually within the app. When i closed the app out and opened again, none of my equipment was listed. Now, going back into my Sonos app, it searches for my speakers and doesn't see them when i click on 'add'. It longer  asks to 'fix the problem' of being on a different network because i feel that it's on the network i want,  Netgear, but won't allow me to set it up without doing a factory reset. All the other solutions the app had doesn't work or apply to my situation. 

I will attempt to do what you advise and hopefully will work. Thank you!

If your phone had strayed onto the ‘wrong’ WiFi then the Sonos units operating on the ‘correct’ WiFi would have been invisible. 

What i did to finally get the system to work was to hook each individual speaker up to my Netgear router with a cat 5e cable and had the app search for new speakers,  which it did one by one.  Only speaker that doesn't show up on the app is my Move. Im lost on that one. 

Thanks for your response ratty. It helped me out.