Sonos playing when not asked to

• 26 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I’ve noticed a couple of times in my lounge where the One speakers have beeped and said something like “I don’t understand that” when I’ve not even said hey Sonos and not even spoken - although it may have picked something up from the television, I’ve never known anyone say Hey Sonos on anything I’ve ever watched!

Now this morning I was unpacking shopping in the kitchen and said to myself “8th of May” whilst reading a use by date and the One speakers beeped as if responding to a request and started playing Planet Rock Radio which was the last thing that had been played on there a week or so ago.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JohnG666 

Thanks for your post!

I too occasionally get false triggers of the wake word, but only when watching TV. With Alexa, it’s usually pretty easy to hear what triggered the wake word, but I too have heard Sonos Voice Control respond without really making out what was said on the TV to cause it. It happens, is what I guess I am saying.

I can see how “8th of May” might be mistaken for “Play”, but I don’t understand how it mistook “8th of May” for “Hey Sonos, play” - that’s a bit more of a stretch, and not similar to anything I have noticed happen myself. I suppose if there were any background noises that sounded to the speaker like the sibilance of an “S”, it would make more sense.

Unfortunately, I can’t really give you any advice - the usual troubleshooting steps don’t really apply in this case, though if there are any sources of background noise near the speaker I would suggest separating them.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

OK thanks very much for your reply. In some respects it’s good to know that it’s not just me who has had the occassional glitch like this :)

I will keep monitoring the situation to see if I can narrow down what happens. I did try repeating 8th of May a few times in different rooms but it never happened again. I did open the fridge door a second or so before saying that so that might have influenced it!