Sonos Play:5 Gen1-->> Line -in use

• 23 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello Sonos fans, I am able to purchase a Sonos play:5 gen 1 speaker and would like to use it connected to the TV on the line in input. My question is: if I set in the sonos app as line-in source, will it stay as default or will I need to set in the sonos app the line-in source every time I turn on the TV?
In addition, I am very curious how long this speaker will be usable without an update from sonos. Any answer from personal experience is appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

You’re willing to put up with the 75ms delay (or more) on the line in? This will make lipsync problematic with the TV set. The PLAY:5 of any generation was not designed to be used as a home theater main speaker. The PLAY:5 gen 1 can’t even be used as a surround speaker, due to the lack of a 5Ghz antenna in it, coupled with that 75ms delay on the line in.

Once the device is set up/added to your account, which requires the latest S1 software update, you can set the line in to ‘auto-play’ anything that is sent to it, and you could likely ignore any further updates…although I recommend against that rather highly.