Sonos One will not register after a reset.

• 14 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Lost connection to Alexa. Cycled power, disabled and re-enabled Alexa skill, etc. finally decided to try a reset on my Sonos One. Now when I am in setup inside the Sonos app I timeout and get an error trying to register the device. Tried for 2 days now to get it to register. So frustrating. Any ideas?

edit - today I tried connecting via Ethernet but that didn’t help. Also made a new Sonos account and transferred the One to it. It transferred ok, but registration to new account had same issue. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Where does it fail - does it find the Sonos One and start the setup process or does it never find it?

I've found that having the Amazon app on my phone seems to cause a similar issue .

I uninstalled it and when it comes to adding Alex via the sonos app and signing into your amazon account - the web based Amazon seems to make it work.

Regards

Michael 

I also have this problem. Setting up my Play 1’s for the first time in about 2 years. Reset and iphone app find it. Go through the process but it fails at registration saying the wifi isn’t in range…. it’s literally 2 meters away!!

Two questions. 

1. Do you happen to have a mesh network? If so, it’s likely splitting your network into at least two, if not more, subnets, which is bad for Sonos, especially if your speaker is on one, and your iPhone on another
  2. Have you tried wiring your PLAY:1 to your router temporarily with an ethernet cable? It’s possible that the OS on the computer in the PLAY:1 is too out of date, and can’t be “seen” by your network using wifi. This shouldn’t be an issue if you have another Sonos device wired to your router, but when I run in to a “can’t be found” issue, I can usually resolve it by temporarily wiring it with an ethernet cable.  Once it can be “found”, you probably should both update the OS running on it, and refresh the network information, if you’re normally connected to your wifi, instead of SonosNet in a wired network setup. 

Thanks for the reply Bruce. We don’t have  a mesh network although we need one! And only 1 subnet. Just moved into a new house and using the ISPs router at the moment. WiFi doesn’t reach upstairs so will need to sort a mesh out probably (house is over 3 floors) but I’ll worry about that at the time. 

I’ll try the network cable idea and come back to you. Thanks for reminding me about that. 

I was having issues registering my sono 1 after resetting but I found out that when it ask you to enter email account you can select not using account and it transfers system to your account.Once it transfer account now you can enter your same email and password and it will let you register your sono.

Two questions. 

1. Do you happen to have a mesh network? If so, it’s likely splitting your network into at least two, if not more, subnets, which is bad for Sonos, especially if your speaker is on one, and your iPhone on another
  2. Have you tried wiring your PLAY:1 to your router temporarily with an ethernet cable? It’s possible that the OS on the computer in the PLAY:1 is too out of date, and can’t be “seen” by your network using wifi. This shouldn’t be an issue if you have another Sonos device wired to your router, but when I run in to a “can’t be found” issue, I can usually resolve it by temporarily wiring it with an ethernet cable.  Once it can be “found”, you probably should both update the OS running on it, and refresh the network information, if you’re normally connected to your wifi, instead of SonosNet in a wired network setup. 

Thank you!
This worked for me.

• Unplugged the Play:1 from power
  • Connected ethernet
  • Held the Play button while plugging in the plower chord until I got a blinking amber light
  • Waited for the blinking amber light to turn into a blinking green light
  • Opened the Sonos app and added the speaker
  • Once it was connected, I went into System > Network > Manage Network > Update Networks
  • From there, I just chose the Play:1 in question and followed the prompts to get it connected to my WiFi network.

Hope this helps someone.