Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

so I have up and running 3 Sonos One (Gen 1) speakers since forever.

Today, however, I noticed that one of them does feature a different hardware-version number than the other two — 1.21.1.8-2.1 VS 1.21.1.8-2.2

Given they‘re all Gen 1, shouldn‘t they all come with the same hardware-version? 

Appreciate your insights!

Cheers!

No, all it takes is a component change to rev the hardware version. Some components get hard to obtain (see: pandemic), others reach EOL and substitutes have to be used. Sometimes a cheaper component is found for cost reduction.

Very normal in electronics.

Oh, I see!! Thanks for clarifying, controlav! 

The hardware versions are transparent to us users so we can pretty much ignore them.

There is a chart around here, which I can’t find when I need it, giving a lot of the inside details.

Hi everyone,

Today, however, I noticed that one of them does feature a different hardware-version number than the other two — 1.21.1.8-2.1 VS 1.21.1.8-2.2

Given they‘re all Gen 1, shouldn‘t they all come with the same hardware-version? 

What colour is the 1.21.1.8-2.1 speaker(s) vs the 1.21.1.8-2.2 version 😉

Hi everyone,

What colour is the 1.21.1.8-2.1 speaker(s) vs the 1.21.1.8-2.2 version 😉

1.21.1.8-2.1 speaker is white, 1.21.1.8-2.2 speakers are black. Am I right supposing that does not surprise you? 😊

This color theory is interesting. It matches my Play:3 devices, but my Play:5 Gen 1s are all “-1”, including the black one.