Skip to main content

Sonos One no power

Just lost another Sonos speaker yesterday.  A Sonos One just under 2 years old.  Died while playing for no apparent reason.  Lost a 3.5 year old Sonos:3 a couple years ago.  I wish I would have known about the garbage Sonos quality when it comes to longevity of these units before investing in the them in my home theatre room.  Total crap.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

And yet, I’ve had many Sonos devices longer than 15 years, and not a single failure. OTOH, I’ve had an iPad fail….electronics aren’t perfect, any expectation that they are is folly.

I’d recommend to you, given the failure rate you’ve been experiencing (for which I am indeed sorry), that you place other sensitive electronics, such as computers, TVs, and Sonos, on surge protectors. It’s entirely probable that there’s enough variation in your home’s electrical current to damage electronics. And I’d be tempted to contact your local electrical supplier and suggest they may need to investigate. 

Mother Nature is never fair and things can break at any time she wants. I agree with Airgetlam — this failure rate does not follow the percentages. I also suspect a power issue. This issue could be local to a particular circuit in your home, your home in general, or systemic in your area. A local lighting strike can cause this. Some areas are known as a “lightning alley” and equipment damage is common. Proper house wiring and industrial duty surge protection is the best approach in these areas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve had my Sonos on high quality surge suppressors from the day I unbox them and never had a failure.

An extended warranty is also a good option, several good sellers out there. I use SquareTrade or Amazon when giving Sonos as a gift.

All good suggestions and I don’t disagree you on any of it, but reading the number of similar issues reported here I’m not going to buy into it being all end user failure, careless homeowner installation or power issues.  I have home automation, NAS storage, smart tv’s and plenty other electronics and the biggest failure rate is Sonos.  For every customer that has had issues, there are 20 with no issues.  If nobody complains, Sonos will just continue to pump out their high end product, which I definitely like, but with less than a high quality lifespan.  Seems like others should be made aware before they jump in.  Maybe if enough people complain, Sonos will fix whatever is lacking in their product.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Never had a single Sonos device fail (except the batteries in the CR100s) since they have existed. A friend did lose the network card in a Playbar, after 4-5 years. Between us that’s 1 out 30 devices, and not a statistically significant sample size.

All good suggestions and I don’t disagree you on any of it, but reading the number of similar issues reported here I’m not going to buy into it being all end user failure, careless homeowner installation or power issues.  I have home automation, NAS storage, smart tv’s and plenty other electronics and the biggest failure rate is Sonos.   

To some extent this is a hospital and after a short tour it’s easy to conclude that “everyone” is sick. In reality we have a small sample size and cannot make accurate, definitive assumptions about the overall population.