Answered

Sonos One - Cannot Connect

• 5 April 2024
  • 3 replies

need some help with an unresolved connection problem with one of my Sonos One units.

My set up in my UK home is as follows:

Lounge - all working fine

- Sonos Beam 2: purchased in UK in 2023, connected to Google wi-fi router via ethernet cable

- Sonos One x2: purchased in US in 2020, connected to Beam via Sonos network channel 6

Bedroom - not working

- Sonos One x1: purchased in US in 2020 … the Sonos s2 app can “see” the device but it can’t connect - wireless doesn’t work (either Sonos or Google network)

I reached out to Sonos support but have not yet resolved the problem despite sending them a diagnostic via the app (have also rebooted my modem and router, reinstalled the app, and rebooted the One - no joy)

Can anybody help me solved this issue ? ... maybe it’s network or firmware related but i’m not an expert. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated - thank you !

Kind regards, Will

PS: the Bedroom One used to work 100% fine in our USA apartment wi-fi …. both Lounge One units were also purchased in USA but not used until move to UK

Moderator edit: removed serial numbers from picture

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 April 2024, 17:43

View original

3 replies

Please allow me to talk through this, just to get my thoughts in line.

Your system is using SonosNet, as you have your Beam connected to your router via a cable. Your surrounds should be connecting to the Beam as normal on the ‘hidden’ connection, which is a 5Ghz channel (very low latency, not much range). 

There is no ‘difference’ between US and any other countries’ speakers, other than the plug for power, so that isn’t a concern.

You state you’ve rebooted the One, which would certainly be a step I would normally take as well. But, I’d go a step further, and reboot the device that is generating the SonosNet network, too, I.e. the Beam. Then see if the One can recognize the SonosNet network and connect. 

If that doesn’t work (and I think it should), I’d be tempted to do a factory reset on only the One that won’t connect, and not on any other speaker in your system. Then try setting up that speaker as a completely new speaker. I’d be tempted to remove some variables by also temporarily wiring it to your router, and keeping the Beam wired, once it is connected to your system via the ‘add a device’ function in the controller, you can remove the Ethernet cable, unplug it, and move it to where you want it to ‘live’. 

Hi Airgetlam,

Thanks for your helpful reply - I tried your suggestions but still could not get the errant One to connect - damn it !

However, thanks to your insightful info above, I had the idea of swapping out one of the surround pair and replacing it with the errant One.

Initially nothing happened - same old problem of no connection and no flashing green light.

But then, a day later of the errant One left idle , i noticed its green light was occasionally flashing -- so i went to the S2 app and added it to the Sonos network … the app then added it to my home wifi … and then added it as part of a surround pair to the beam. 

At last, after 30 days of WTF frustration - SONOS PERFECTION !

Hooray !

Not sure I really helped, but I’m glad you resolved it!