Sonos Five and third party subwoofer

• 21 January 2024
  • 12 replies

Hi all!
I have in my living room this setup:

2 Sonos Five 
Sonos Amp
1 Klipsch active subwoofer

My subwoofer is connected to my Amp (there is no speaker connected to the amp)

I’ve made a few tests to get the best from this nice setup but I’m a little bit disappointed because I can’t apply a filter on those Five.
You know the same that is automatically apply when you connect the Sonos Sub (Gen 3).
This low-pass filter allows the Five to give their best!
Of course I tried it but bass was not as good as the Klipsch one.

I’ve spend a lot of money to buy the Amp only to add my sub and I think it would be logical in my opinion that Sonos offer this software update to customers.

What do you think about it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I don’t think there are enough users who would justify spending $700 to power an already powered 3rd party subwoofer for Sonos to waste development time on allowing the Amp crossover to apply to a grouped room of Fives. 

Badge

Thanks for your answer but I think I’m not the only one that I was disappointed on the ratio price/performances of the Sonos sub compare to the beautiful Five.
This is why I bought the Klipsch one, the Synergy Sub-12 Subwoofer give outstanding performances for half of the price… And I can share my opinion because I already buy the Sonos Sub (Gen 3) before.
And I’m not engineer but I think that is not so much time to develop this feature on the app.

I'm pretty confident in saying this is not going to happen.

Badge

Thanks for your positivity!

And I think things can change on my side :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks for your positivity!

And I think things can change on my side :)

I also think this dream won’t come true. 
The Sonos system doesn’t see this as an usecase. The Sonos sub models are optimized for use with all Sonos speakers. 
Btw a much cheaper Sonos port would have done the same for your workaround as you can cut the frequency on the Klipsch sub itself. The only problem with this group solution workaround is that the main speakers use no crossover frequency and don’t profit from the subs support. 

Badge

Yes you right, I buy the Amp with advises of the Sonos team on the chat but I forgot to ask this question.

I should now buy the Sonos sub, hide it in my apartment and mute the volume on it 😂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes you right, I buy the Amp with advises of the Sonos team on the chat but I forgot to ask this question.

I should now buy the Sonos sub, hide it in my apartment and mute the volume on it 😂 

Ok, come on… I can understand that the situation isn’t quite satisfying for you, but imho the Sonos sub is a really good deal. I can’t understand that you’re disappointed of it that much. 

Badge

I’m not here to talk about the quality of the Sonos sub which is pretty great if we don’t talk about price.

Of course the Sonos sub is also a beautiful gear compare to the other subs.

Everyone will have an opinion on it but on my side, I’m using uncompressed music streaming service and I can tell that my Klipsch sub is way way better in my room.

If it was only on TV or movie the Sonos one give a great job but it’s not the case with music with my setup in my room.

It is my choice and I only need your help if you can help me.

Badge

Could you please tell me if the crossover apply on Sonos Five will be the same if you are using Sonos Sub (Gen 3) or Sonos Sub Mini?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d doubt it but if it isn’t mentioned in the Sub or mini-Sub user manual it isn’t likely something Sonos shares.

Badge

Thanks for your help Stanley

Any help on these will be much appreciated

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@dylanpetit 

I really like the Sonos Five and they sound fantastic. For me even as a stereo pair without a sub… But I ask myself, if you already have this amazing Klipsch subwoofer and also a Sonos amp, why not just adding 2 high end passive speakers to the amp instead of using the Fives at this place.