Sonos bringing network down

• 23 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello,

In case anyone has a network problem, this is my story.

My Sonos 4xSpeaker (1), connect:Amp, mini Sub, Sub and playbar all working fine.

Go on holiday for 10 days return and home network down all of Sonos, Alexa, light bulbs, computers, iPhones and iPads.  Restart router, no change.  Ring broadband service provider and issue my side.  Disconnect all Ethernet cables from router and WiFi bursts into life.  Connect cable Wi-Fi network performance very poor and things not really working.  Over next few hours, swearing and shouting discover that if I disconnect all Sonos devices network good.  As soon as I add one it’s down.

Factory reset one and add it to system home network stays up.  Several hours later having tested every Sonos device, with the exception of the playbar and mini-sub they all needed factory resetting.

I have no idea as to the cause or reason but if someone else has a network problem try this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @CLDeakin 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I also do not understand how this could happen, but I’m glad you found a solution - thanks for sharing!

I would, however, recommend anyone else having this issue to contact our technical support team for assistance before resorting to factory resets.

Hello Corry P,

I would be interested to know what you would have suggested, I am 100% sure this is what happened.  Unfortunately my house had been down for 1 day and a 2nd would have been too much.  I also found the instructions to factory reset were really difficult to find for each of the products!

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d have suggested powering down all your Sonos, any Ethernet switches too, then rebooting the router.

Factory Resets dump all your Sonos settings so you have to recreate your setup completely from scratch so it should be a last resort.

@CLDeakin,

I would not have personally recommended a Sonos device factory reset, but would have first suggested reserving all the Sonos device IP addresses in the routers DHCP reservation table, as it sounds like the router DHCP server is not coping with assigning multiple IP addresses during an update/reboot of either the router subnet, and/or Sonos products. My ‘guess’ (without knowing further detail about the network setup) is that would likely have proven to be a much better longer-term solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @CLDeakin 

I certainly would have looked at the network, as the others here have suggested, but if there were an issue with Sonos software that needed to be addressed, the opportunity to find out about it is now gone. This does seem unlikely, though your description has me scratching my head.

Unfortunately my house had been down for 1 day and a 2nd would have been too much.

Completely understandable.

I also found the instructions to factory reset were really difficult to find for each of the products!

All reset instructions can be found on our Reset your Sonos product help page (found by searching “reset” on our support pages).

Hello,

I powered everything off and disconnected everything from the router, I rebooted the router several times and as soon as I plugged a Sonos device in that was powered on the network started having problems within 1-2 minutes.  I removed everything and at one point had my sub-woofer plugged directly into the router.  I even switched WiFi on the router completely off.

I’ve had a Sonos device plugged into my network for 10-15 years and no issues, went on holiday, came back and everything was down.  From monitoring I can see the exact date/time it failed.

Eventually factory reset the router, that did not cure it.  Plugged in subwoofer ran into problems, factory resetting the subwoofer and plugging it in it worked.  I then plugged in other devices and switches all working.  Switched on one of my Sonos Ones and network broke.  Factory reset and worked.

It took several hours to determine it was the Sonos devices that had the issue.  Strange the Sonos Soundbar and mini-subwoofer did not have any issues.

I must say finding instructions on how to factory reset all the different Sonos devices is not as simple as you think.  The help page did not include information on some of the gear I have because maybe its no longer seen as relevant.

Thanks for the ideas, I think I tried them all, if it happens again I will reach out to support but hopefully it will not.

Chris