sonos beam gen 2 wont show in app

• 23 December 2023
  • 6 replies

I have just bought a Beam gen 2 and set it up. The setup process seemed to work fine but didn’t show in system. I have unplugged it and plugged back in as suggested by the setup wizard but still not there. I have left it all plugged in for 15 mins and still nothing. I have done factory reset 5 times now including connecting it via Ethernet. I have a Move on my system that connects perfectly (sound is awful on Bluetooth but that’s another story) so it’s not a problem with my network. Network is Vodafone super fast fibre router no separate Wi-Fi extenders and router is 12 feet away in the same room. Faulty Beam perhaps?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sonos System Requirements mention they do not support WiFi Range extenders as they tend to mangle  MAC addresses on the network subnet. Perhaps try blacklisting the Beam on the extender configuration pages and see if that resolves the issue. If the extender is broadcasting a (slightly) different SSID to your main router then ensure the mobile controller device connects to the router WiFi only too.

Hope that helps resolve things for you.

There is no Wi-Fi extender. It connected to the broadband router in the same room. My Move connects perfectly on Wi-Fi. The setup says it has connected to my network. I have a solid white light on the Beam the same as my Move but only the Move is visible in my system on the app. The app is Sonos S2. App firmware is up to date. I’m using an iPhone X on latest iOS.

Ah really sorry, I misread your first post and incorrectly thought you were using an extender. Does the router have ‘Airtime Fairness’ or ‘QoS’ enabled? If so, try disabling those on the router and then see if the Beam shows up on the W/Lan and perhaps check if the router maybe has AP isolation enabled on either/both WiFi bands.

Not sure if this will help, but I found this online, which ‘perhaps’ may assist you…

https://rechargevodafone.co.uk/how-to-disable-ap-isolation-on-vodafone-router/

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Pug5ley 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having this problem? I just looked, and your Beam is currently online and connected to our cloud servers. Therefore, if you are still having the issue, it seems likely that the issue lies with your local network.

I recommend that you reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds. Wait for the router to reboot and for WiFi to return, plus another minute or so before checking the Sonos app. If that appears to have fixed the problem, it may help to reserve IP addresses for your Sonos devices in the router’s settings (please consult the manual, or contact the provider).

I hope this helps.

I gave up on Christmas Eve and just left everything plugged in. I checked it on Boxing Day and it was visible on my app. It seems to be working ok . No idea what the problem was. Thanks for all the replies.