Sonos Beam Gen 2 + Samsung Oddessy Neo G7 2.1 HDMI + PS5

• 23 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge

Has anyone successfully connected a Sonos Beam Gen 2 to a Samsung Oddessy Neo G7 monitor? That monitor doesn’t have built in speakers and I want to run my PS5 audio thru it with visuals coming thru the screen. The monitor accepts two HDMI 2.1 ports. Surely it’s plug and play similar to a EARC smart TV? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Reading through the monitor’s specs, I did not see any mention of HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC.

My recommendation would be to use an Arcana or similar.

Badge

I called Sonos Technical support and they said so long as it’s connected to either EARC, ARC or 2.1 HDMI. That monitor has 2.1 HDMI, but I thought I’d ask to see if anyone is using this set up or knows for sure if it works. My current monitor is 2.0, which doesn’t support the sound output. Monitor spec : Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 LS32BG750NUXXU 4K Ultra HD Curved Gaming Monitor, 32”

I called Sonos Technical support and they said so long as it’s connected to either EARC, ARC or 2.1 HDMI. That monitor has 2.1 HDMI

It’s not either/or. The Beam has to be fed by an HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC. 

Badge

Alright so I’m seeking a Monitor that has either a HDMI ARC or eARC port and not 2.1 HDMI. The mentioned monitor doesn’t work with the Beam. Spent over an hour trying with no luck.  

if anyone is using this set up and has proven results, please give me a shout. 

I’ve not looked into such matters at all, but intuitively one wouldn’t really expect a monitor to offer HDMI-ARC/eARC. A monitor is traditionally a sink, not a source. And even if sent audio on an HDMI how much audio processing would one logically expect from a monitor? Not a lot I suspect.

I think you’d be better off following the suggestion of @buzz and use a device such as Arcana to split off the audio to the Beam.

Badge

Yeah it’s just crazy that in 2023 we still don’t have monitors with smart TV versatility. 

Thanks for your help everyone, I’ll try the suggested Arcana unit. Fingers crossed the Arcana unit supports 60hz right up to 120hz lol. 

Yeah it’s just crazy that in 2023 we still don’t have monitors with smart TV versatility. 

Perhaps a smart TV is what a monitor wants to be when it grows up.

Badge

🤣🤣🤣

99% of users who purchase monitors don’t need the CEC computer that generates ARC/eARC, so why bother including that cost? There’s more profit to leave out that expense. 

When I think of “monitor”, it is a display device and nothing else. I don’t want to pay licensing fees for various audio codecs, operating systems, and such that I’ll never use.

If you need these features, high end TV’s include these features and are also excellent monitors.