Sonos Beam Gen 1 + 2x Era 100 + TV + Turntable, would it work? How can it work?

• 26 June 2023
  • 10 replies

Hey all,

So right now I have a 65” inch TV connected to my Gen 1 Beam through Arc. It’s been great, sound’s amazing, especially the dialogues/spoken words can be heard clearly, which is the reason I got it.

I have just bought an Audio Technica LP3XBT turntable which has bluetooth and RCA out connectivity options.

Now I’m wondering how to make use of the Beam I have with perhaps adding pair of Era 100s to make this whole setup work in unison.

Would my Beam Gen 1 seamlessly work if I add a pair of Era 100s? Also, would my turntable be able to make use of Beam + 2x Era 100 setup?

Or what would be the best solution for this setup considering I don’t want to upgrade my Beam Gen 1 right now and want to keep the overall solution as much VFM as possible.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

If you use Era 100’s as surrounds with your Beam…Bluetooth and the 3.5mm line-in will be disabled.

If you use Era 100’s as a stereo pair you can connect them via Bluetooth to your turntable 

There are two ways to get Turntable Audio to your Beam

1. Connect the Era 100 stereo pair to turntable via Bluetooth and then group the Era 100’s to the Beam
  2. Purchase a Sonos Port. Connect the turntable RCA-Out to Sonos Port RCA-In. In Sonos App set the line-in for Sonos Port and designate the Beam as the default speaker. Make sure the built-in Pre-Amp in the turntable is active because according to manual it can be switched off to use an external Pre-Amp. 

Below is a link on how to setup the Sonos Port for Line-in with your turntable:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/play-line-in-on-your-sonos-port

This is super helpful, thanks @AjTrek1! :)

Question, if I group the Era 100 stereo pair with Beam, would the entire setup work with my TV as well? My TV supports Bluetooth as well.

If it would, and if I understand correctly, it wouldn’t be working together as one surround sound unit, but as separate entities, outputting same sound together?

Userlevel 7

If you group the Era 100’s to your Beam for TV audio it would work; but there would be a delay of the TV audio to the Era’s of about 75ms. That would create an echo effect. If the Era’s are in another room the delay probably wouldn’t matter if not in range of the TV audio. Could be useful to listen to a sporting event where there is no TV.

If you connect the Era’s via Bluetooth to your TV you may or may not get the echo effect. I’ve never tested that. Let us know how it sounds 😊

You are correct…Connecting the Era’s to your TV in the manner(s) discussed would not result in surround.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The phrase “work with my TV” could mean something different to you than it would to me. How would you want it to work? Bluetooth connect the Era’s to your TV? That would not work because the HDMI connected Beam would overrule the bluetooth connection.

You can “group” the Beam and the Era’s so they play the same, but this will result in a 75ms delay on the Era’s when playing TV sound.

Thanks for those inputs @106rallye @AjTrek1. I have more questions in my mind now. :P

So my TV and turntable are going to be in the same room, that’s why I want this whole system (complete speaker setup + TV + turntable) to work together seamlessly.

Is there a way that I can use my Beam Gen 1 + Era 100 stereo pair for surround sound with my TV, while also using all three together with the turntable when they’re not being used with the TV? Would I have to keep making some changes in the app to enable that? Or what would that scenario entail?

Also just wondering, with the turntable, do I even need a Beam + Era 100 stereo pair setup? Is that going to be a more wholesome aural experience?

Userlevel 7

You can use the Beam and the Era’s as surrounds via the Bonding process. Once bonded the Era’s would no longer function as an independent stereo pair. Although there are three (3) speakers the Beam directs what audio the Era’s receive. In short they work as a single unit. To use the Turntable you would have to purchase a Sonos Port as I suggested in my first post and follow the setup. The Beam would be the target speaker. 

In order to use the Era’s again as a Stereo pair you would have to break the bond to the Beam and set them as such. Doing so would not affect the Turntable setup using the Sonos Port in conjunction with the Beam. To use the Era’s again as surrounds you would have to repeat the bonding process.  Thats’ a lot of back n’ forth 😅

Also just wondering, with the turntable, do I even need a Beam + Era 100 stereo pair setup? Is that going to be a more wholesome aural experience?

Not sure what you’re asking in the question above. However, to use the Turntable with Sonos you’ll either use the Era’s as standalone stereo pair and connect via BT or the Sonos Port with the Beam.

In the latter setup (if the Era’s are bonded to the Beam) you’ll hear the turntable audio via the Beam and the Era’s being used as surrounds. You can adjust the Era’s audio output to Full or ambient. Remember if the Era’s are used as surrounds the BT functionality is disabled.

FYI, not sure what part of the world you are in but it’s 1:42AM in the US. I’ll be signing off but feel free to post if you have questions. Either, I will respond later in the day or someone else may pickup the torch. 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Instead of a Port, an extra Era (with the adaptor) could also be used to get the turntable sound into the Sonos universe. If the turntable is equipped with bluetooth even a Sonos Roam could be used.

First of all, thank you so much folks for all the inputs! Really helping me get clarity on what to do. So @AjTrek1 I'm based out of India and turns out Eras are not even available here yet for atleast another 2 months :(

I was actually then thinking of going the route of getting either a port/era/roam + 2x Era 100s bonded with my beam to get the setup up and running for my TV and turntable.

Now I'm wondering what do I do? I do need to get this setup up and running in a few days. What are my options? 

Maybe just get a roam or port right now to get my turntable connected to the beam? Get Eras later once they're available?

Userlevel 7

You can use a Roam to make the connection but I would prefer a Port. The connection between the Port and Beam would be over WiFi direct with less chance of interference vs BT with Roam and then WiFi.

Also you can set the Beam as the designated speaker and to auto play as soon as the needle contacts the record. The setting is permanent.

However, you would have a portable speaker with Roam and not be tethered to the Beam. Each solution has its pro and con but I still prefer the Port.

I know that there is a large population segment that feels the world revolves around Bluetooth. I’m not a member of that segment.

Lately, I’ve been using Bluetooth noise canceling headphones. They work very well with my PC. It’s been frustrating with my iPad, especially if I switch Apps on the iPad. The iPad will claim that it is playing through the headset, but this is not the case.

In general, I don’t want my computer/phone/pad involved in playing music. For me that’s the beauty of SONOS. SONOS plays the music directly. The computer/phone/pad can go to sleep, crash, or leave the building while the music continues.

With this in mind, I’d prefer PORT in this application.