Answered

Sonos Arc dropping from multiroom audio

• 21 January 2024
  • 3 replies

So, I’ve run across a number of topics regarding the Sonos Arc dropping audio, but none seem to be quite what we’re encountering, so I hope someone might have some insight here.

As background, we’re dealing with a system with a Sonos Arc with two One SL satellites and the sub in the den, an Era 100 in the living room and a Beam in the master bedroom, all are connected via wifi and showing “excellent” connection statuses.

Now for the issue. This recently started and is driving me crazy. When we start a playlist from the Sonos app, everything works very well like it should for 15-20 minutes, maybe even a while longer, but eventually the Sonos Arc stops. No error message in the app or any notification there's an issue, the app shows it still playing, but no sound.

Sometimes stopping and restarting the playlist is enough to get everything working again for a while. Other times, I have to unplug the Arc, then resume the playlist.

Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 January 2024, 21:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Try starting the audio playback using the Den Arc HT setup, so the Arc acts as the group coordinator and set it’s ‘group audio delay’ feature in ‘Settings/System/[Den Room Name]’ to a higher value and see if that stops the audio dropouts occurring - there are four settings in the ‘Group Audio Delay’ area (see attached) that set different audio buffer sizes - Just see which setting best suits your local network conditions. Hopefully that should then stop any buffering issues and eradicate the issue you’re seeing.

Thanks, we’ll give that a shot and see what happens.

I’ll admit I’m a bit skeptical on it being a buffering thing, though. Everything had been working really well for the last couple months, and it’s only recently the Arc began stopping like this.

Thanks, we’ll give that a shot and see what happens.

I’ll admit I’m a bit skeptical on it being a buffering thing, though. Everything had been working really well for the last couple months, and it’s only recently the Arc began stopping like this.

Networks can often change, particularly those that auto-select channels etc. if you want to outline your network setup and provide more information, including…

• Make/model of main router?
  • Streaming audio sources in use when issue occurs? (If external, does the issue still occur with locally-held audio sources?)
  • Upload/download speed offered by your ISP subscription?
  • Any network switches managed, or unmanaged?
  • Any other WiFi access points/wireless extenders/power-line adapters?
  • Wifi Channels/Channel-widths in use for each WiFi band (Are the channels fixed)?
  • Any Sonos devices wired and if so where to? (What is the Sonosnet channel set to?)
  • Have the device addresses been reserved in the routers DHCP Reservation Table?
  • Have you recently done a scan and aware of neighbouring WiFi channels in use? 

Then either myself, or possibly others here in the community, will happily try to offer some further suggestions for you to perhaps try, that’s if the ‘group audio delay’ buffering adjustment does not resolve your issue.