Sonos app update disabled my system and now it no longer functions.

• 9 January 2024
  • 3 replies

I LOVED MY SONOS PRODUCTS, BUT NOW WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING SONOS AGAIN!!! I have two original Play 5 speakers. I used the app to play them as a Stereo pair. They sounded phenomenal! Then I bought a Beam sound bar for my TV. I used the app to setup surround sound using all three units and it was absolutely wonderful! Then the app updated to Sonos 2 app. Now my Play 5 speakers are not compatible and they no longer work as a surround sound system I paid a lot of money for, they don't even work for stereo pair anymore. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The original Play:5 (gen1) speakers were not capable of acting as TV Home Theatre surrounds as they do not have a 5Ghz wireless adapter? Are you sure they are the original Play:5 speakers? Might they be the newer Play:5 (gen 2) speakers manufactured between Nov 2015 —> June 2020?.

If so, they were always S2 compatible, from when S2 was launched in late 2020.

I have a pair of PLAY:5 Gen 2 speakers, and they work perfectly on S2, although I’ve never set them up as surrounds, as I feel my PLAY:1s serve that purpose well.  I use the PLAY:5s as music speakers. They happen to flank my Arc, although they’re not part of the same Sonos ‘room’.

1. Joined the community today. 

2. Factually inaccurate in every detail

3. Tone is of synthetic outrage

Sounds as genuine as a £6 note to me, but apologies if I am mistaken.