sonos amp with first gen play1 to use as speaker for tv

• 16 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello, 
I have multiple sonos play1 (first generation) in my living room, I just installed a new tv (samsung the frame), the audio is very bad on the tv. I’d love to be able to use my first gen sonos play1 as speaker for the tv. 
Do I need to buy a sonos Amp? to connect my tv to to it and the. be able to stream the tv audio to my sonos play1?? 
thank you so much

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Play:1s are not designed to be used as your primary TV speakers. And using the Amp to stream the TV audio to the Play:1s will likely result in lip sync issues. You need to get a Sonos sound bar like a Ray, Beam, or Arc to connect to your TV instead. Then, if you choose, you can use two of your Play:1s as surround speakers with the sound bar for a surround sound home theater setup.

Thank you. We do not want to use a sound bar, we bought samsung the frame tv for the look of it because it does not look like a tv. we do not like the idea of having a ‘visible’ sound bar. That’s why I wanted to use my play1 as main speaker for the tv. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you really do not want to see any speakers and want to stay with Sonos, this, combined with an Amp, could be something: https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/wall-speaker-pair

The Amp needs to be connected via HDMI to the Samsungs Connect box.