Answered

Sonos 5 Ghost

I have two first generation sonos 5s setup right and left.   They are part of my system of about 6 other sonos devices.  I’ve experienced them randomly turning on in the night and while on vacation.  They blast at maximum volume the last played station.  In addition, while listening, I’ve had the volume mysteriously turn itself down.  Lastly, I’ve heard loud deep sporadic beeping recently as if it was being programmed.  At first, I thought perhaps a lizard or small creature, as we have here in the tropics, was running over the controls and activating it.  I fashioned covers to prevent this possibility, and the issue persists.  I’ve unplugged and plugged in the speakers to reset.  I just don’t get it.  It feels like someone has hacked my system and screwing with me.  My wife and I are the only ones with app access.  Is anyone having a similar experience?  This system was a large investment and it is starting to get on my neighbor and my nerves.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 19 May 2023, 10:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I don’t have any similar experiences to share. At this age we cannot rule out hardware issues.

I can imagine something in the push button area is becoming conducive. Since you are in the tropics, high humidity or a ‘critter’ come to mind. While possible, I think that it is unlikely that both speakers have the same issue. As a test, unpair the speakers and keep them unGrouped when you are not listening to them. If I’m correct, only one speaker will exhibit this behavior.

Visually give the units a close inspection. Check for water damage and critters. The port is attractive to critters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could also make a diagnosis within 15 minutes of something like this happening and ask Sonos to take a look at it - they are able to see what triggers events.

What is the ‘last played station’, by which I mean which service is it coming from?

What is the ‘last played station’, by which I mean which service is it coming from?

Pandora and apple music

You could also make a diagnosis within 15 minutes of something like this happening and ask Sonos to take a look at it - they are able to see what triggers events.

I’ll do this.

I’ve had the same exact experience for the last two years, full blast, always in the middle of the night. Neighbors called the police the last time it happened since I am unable to shut it off unless I am home. Diagnostics have not found the problem. Totally unacceptable. One agent had me unsync and reboot speakers…Didn’t work. Another agent suggested to toggle off the touch controls in settings. This should rule out any animals or lizards, crawling over the device and activating the speakers. This might be worth a try but at this point, I’m too scared to leave them outside and risk another incident. 

Again, what’s the source of the stream? 

Pandora

Again, what’s the source of the stream? 

Pandora

I’m not a Pandora user, but this does rule out Spotify Connect as a potential source. Many folks don’t understand both the full implications of that system, and many casual users don’t remember they’re still connected the next time the try to use Spotify, which can cause some misunderstanding. 

Which Sonos speakers are we talking about? Why are you concerned about turning off the touch controls? Has this ever occurred while these speakers have been inside?