Answered

sonos 5

• 17 November 2023
  • 4 replies

I want to connect a Sonos 5 to a legacy hifi amp which has a turntable and cd player connected to it. The cd player has an optical connection, not RCA. The speaker wire terminals on the amp are spring loaded not RCA. Is there a way of connecting this to the 5's 3.5mm input? 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 17 November 2023, 21:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Not easily.  The spring loaded connecters are amplified, not line-level connections.  You need line-level for the Line-In on the Sonos.  There are line-level converters, but it won’t be the most elegant solutions, and will still have the legacy volume control in play. 

What is the model number of your “hifi amp”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For the turntable, why not get a phono preamp and connect the turntable to it and then it to the Five?

For the CD something like this, it is just the first one I found, not a recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ref=sr_1_3

Not easily.  The spring loaded connecters are amplified, not line-level connections.  You need line-level for the Line-In on the Sonos.  There are line-level converters, but it won’t be the most elegant solutions, and will still have the legacy volume control in play. 

Thanks,  I think i need to go back to the drawing board.