Skip to main content

Sonos 3 not usable

• 25 July 2024
  • 6 replies

We recently dug our Sonos 3 out of the closet (used only during our wedding) to start using it again but it will not update - and it states an update is necessary to use the device. Now I find out it’s not supported?? 

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Have you tried the classic “factory reset” your Play:3 and try again?

You’re doing the update over WiFi or Ethernet ?

I’m using a Play:3 without a problem on the latest version of the mobile app, web app and desktop app.

We recently dug our Sonos 3 out of the closet (used only during our wedding) to start using it again but it will not update - and it states an update is necessary to use the device. Now I find out it’s not supported?? What the hell? Would any other speaker company do this to their customers? JBL speakers work year after year without a software update that pushes obsolescence. I am ABSOLUTELY floored that I have to now throw away this very expensive piece of trash. 

You may want to rethink your use of words there. 

Anyway, nothing about the Play:3 is obsolete.  If you haven’t used it in a while, the firmware is too out of date to connect wirelessly.  First thing to try is connecting it to your router with an Ethernet cable and then add it to the system.  If it adds and updates, you can disconnect the cable.  If that doesn’t work, you need to contact Sonos support and they can push out an update to the unit. 

I did the factory reset and am using Wi-Fi. I suspect that your unit had been updated before the 06/23 cutoff. 

I did the factory reset and am using Wi-Fi. I suspect that your unit had been updated before the 06/23 cutoff. 

What do you mean by “06/23 cutoff”?  I’ve never even heard of anything like that and I’ve been here decades.  Your Play:3 is probably just fine, your firmware is simply too far out of date.  Follow my instructions above.  

Thanks jgatie. And noted regarding my language - I modified my comment. I will try the hardwire route. Thanks again. 

I use PLAY:3s daily, for what that is worth.