Answered

Sonos 1 'unable to connect' when changing location of different zone sonos play 5

Badge +1

Strange issue.

I have a three zone Gen 1 Sonos system, Sonos .

I’m moving my play 5 from the kitchen to the room next to my bedroom.  When I start music on the play 5 the Sonos Connect in the bedroom cuts out and then disappears.

If I move the play 5 back to the kitchen it is OK and both Play 5 and Sonos Connect work.  If I move the Play 5 back to the spare bedroom next to the main bedroom then the Sonos Connect drops out again and disappears from the zone list.

The Sonos Connect is wired to the network, the Play 5 is wireless.

Any ideas?

Is it a proximity issue as the bedrooms are next to each other?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 March 2023, 11:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +1

Changed the wireless channel and all solved

As you have the Connect wired to the LAN it’s handling the SonosNet wireless signal to your Play:5 Gen1 - it’s clearly having issues with that communication when you move the Play:5 to a different area and that’s perhaps affecting its own performance. I would first try different WiFi/SonosNet channels. So if SonosNet is currently on channel 6 for example then try it on channel 11 (Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network’) Also set the routers 2.4Ghz band to an entirely different channel - using channels 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows, set a channel-width of 20Mhz only.

Finally ensure the wired Connect is wired direct back to the router (do not use a remote wireless access point) and position it well away from the router - at least one metre away. You may also want to consider changing its cable in case it has a minor fault developing on that connection.

See if those few things perhaps help to resolve the issue.

Ah our posts crossed @norks27 - I see you solved it. 👍

Badge +1

Thanks for the detailed reply :)