Answered

sonos 1 on public wifi

• 23 November 2023
  • 2 replies

I currently own a Sonos 1 and have just moved to uni in September. My WiFi network is a public WiFi which means I can’t connect my Sonos. I was instructed by the support team to use an Ethernet cable which I have bought and plugged in but still no luck. There are two WiFi networks at my accom and there is one guy connected to one as I can actually connect to his system but it requires me to log in but obviously I don’t know the details. Does anyone know what I can do? I just want to play music 

icon

Best answer by ratty 23 November 2023, 14:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Uni networks could well split Ethernet and WiFi onto different subnets, and/or enforce client isolation. Both will break Sonos.

Get a small wireless router of your own and plug it into the Ethernet wall socket for its WAN/internet connection. This will set up a private subnet for you and your Sonos to connect to (wired or wireless).

By all means run this idea past the uni authorities first to make sure it’s not against regulations.

Thanks for your help - fingers crossed that works