Answered

sonace ceiling speaker setup

• 14 February 2024
  • 6 replies

After some advice: having the kitchen/dinning room extended and want to put in 4 sonace ceiling speakers. Only usury is half of the ceiling in flat the other half is pitched (approx 20degrees).

so where’s the best place to install them as two will end up on the flat ceiling two the pitched. 

I’ve attached rough plan of the layout: black is the boundary, blue the kitchen and the yellow line is the the split between the flat and sloped roof. 

I’ve tried to work out what’s the best positions but there’s a lot of conflicting advice. FYI this will be for music only 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 17 February 2024, 00:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Where are the listening areas? Which way is the ceiling pitched? Where are the kitchen noise sources, such as fans?

Ideally I’d like the listening area to be in the kitchen area itself and the driving room area. Its pitched at the yellow line, facing north. It’s elevated about 40/50cm from the flat existing roof, if that makes sense. Noise source will be to the far right, where the cook and fan will be, a hob will be in the left hand side on the peninsula. The room is 7m x 5.5. 

An elevation drawing would be helpful for us to visualize the ceiling detail and I’m not sure which way is North. Further, how high are the ceilings? I’m in the US and I’m not sure what a “hob” is. Indicate the dining room furniture layout.

Will this be background music or more serious listening?

Hi buzz, 

here’s a elevation drawing with some measurements. I’m concerned that putting two in the flat ceiling and two in the sloped will create an odd listening acoustic. I mean I’d like to think it would be for serious music listening.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You aren’t really looking at ceiling speakers and considering serious music listening are you? Any ceiling speaker setup is going to serve best as background music and often will sound best for that in mono.

That aside, you’ll not notice any sound difference between the flat and sloped speakers.

Personally I’d set my Amp to mono mode and place the speakers so that they were evenly spaced, so as to deliver the most uniform volume level possible to each spot in the room.

Serious listening you’d want a pair of Sonos Fives, placed in the proper positioning for your preferred seating position. Maybe 300s if you want Atmos. Maybe a Sub if you find it necessary in your space.

No reason you can’t have both, even use both at the same time.

Valid point