Reset play 1. Solution found.

• 30 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This is just for info if you have problems resetting your Play 1.

Had to reset my 2 X Play 1.
According to Sonos' instructions, you had to press play/pause down when connecting the power cable. After that it started flashing white, then white and orange and then it should flash green after some time and then they should be reset.
(They have previously been connected to wifi and part of my surround set)

Mine would never flash green, they just flashed white and orange forever. Therefore, I could not connect them again. And believe me I've tried everything :)

Found the solution on this page through a lot of searching.

Connect your Play 1 with a network cable to your router, power on your Play 1 while holding down play/pause, wait until it flashes orange and then you can release.. After approx. 2min it flashed green. Now I removed the power cable and internet cable and placed it where I wanted.

Connected my Play 1 to power, after 1min they flashed green and then could add them to my system via the app. And then add them to my surround setup.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Peter_254, welcome to Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear about your problem getting your Sonos Play:1 to factory reset, and I’m glad you managed to complete the process by temporarily wiring the unit with an Ethernet cable.

For anyone else who, by doing the above you are still unable to Reset your Sonos then please contact our Support for some live troubleshooting.

Thank you for sharing and I hope this will help other users who are having the same issue.

I’ve tried the above and spent over an hour in a chat support session but no joy. I’ve ascertained that the Sonos will connect to a network by using my phone as the network (i.e. hotspot) but my home router (Zyxtel NR5103E on the UK Three network) doesn’t work, wireless or connected directly via ethernet to the back of the router. The device gets all the way to adding to your Sonos app but won’t ultimately show up, even after switching off and on again, and when trying to re-find it.  I repeated all this using my phone as the router (above mentioned hotspot) and it works fine. So looks like a limitation on the router or its config. Any ideas on router config constraints? Thanks.

Thank you Peter!!!

You have solved my wifi connectivity issue with my play ones. I moved and had to update my wifi in the sonos app and it kept failing, and could not figure it out. After finding your thread and trying the factory reset that worked for you it finally connected! Much appreciated!

I had the same problem with the failure to factor reset, and this answer really helped.  Second Level support suggested Pause/Play + - volume to reset with ethernet, but I still need to cycle power to get to green. 

may additional issue was trying to get it to work with an Eero mesh router setup.  it didn’t matter is it was wifi or ethernet, I couldn’t get to the end of the setup  

the fix was using my AT&T Fiber router’s ethernet port to register the speakers, then when they were both set up, switching them to the Eero’s wifi  

hope this helps someone else save time