Answered

PS5 apps losing rear Speaker Sound

• 22 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Noticed just recently on Peacock, YouTube and YoutubeTV that all of my sound is coming from the Arc Playbar and I get zero sound from my L and R Play 1. The PS5 menu and games, I'm still getting sound from all speakers but everything else is forced through the Arc. The app shows 5.1digital+. I haven't had an issue until yesterday and none of my settings have changed. 

Just curious if this is new, have I just not noticed before...What gives?

icon

Best answer by asuirish 23 April 2023, 13:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Likely the content is in stereo, which your TV then sends to the Sonos as is, rather than being in Dolby Digital 5.1. 

Badge

Thanks. I don't recall this occuring before. And for content... When I was watching the 4K Peacock NBC channel for the Arsenal game, all of the sound came from the Arc. So does that mean it's the App in general causing this? Because I feel that specific content should output correctly. 

No, if the Arsenal game was broadcast in stereo, not Dolby Digital, you wouldn’t get anything from the sub or the surrounds. The Sonos app (technically the speakers, the app is merely a remote control) doesn’t up-rez content. You can look at your controller to see what signal it is receiving. There also could have been a change in your TV’s settings, might be worth double checking that it’s set to ‘pass through’ or as close as the TV you own is allowed to not change the audio signal. 

Badge

The app still says Dolby digital plus when watching on YouTube or YTTV. I'll check my TV settings again but didn't notice any change yesterday. 

Badge

So switched to YouTube TV on Firestick and my rears work. App says Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. 

Says the same thing when I'm on PS5 and YoutubeTV but sound is only coming from Arc. 

Seems like a PS5 App issue...I guess

Badge

Maybe I just don't understand. But on the Sonos App when playing YouTube or YTTV or Peacock on PS5, it says Dolby Digital + 5.1 but the sound is only coming from the Arc. Sports,  cartoons, The Office you name it. 

But I can switch right over to my Firestick and play the same live content and get sound from my rear speakers. Still shows Dolby Digital+ 5.1

The PS5 issue is new. Was it true 5.1 coming from those shows...probably not but the Sonos app shows it is.

​​​​