Answered

Possible hardware issue? Popping/crackling sound

• 22 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I have a Sonos Play one, a couple of weeks ago (after I brought it to a friend’s house), I tried to use it and noticed the speaker was making a static/crackling sound which gets much worse with loud music (the static pattern basically follows the beat of the music). 

It’s possible that it either had a bang/drop or got a bit wet when being transported, does anyone have any idea of what specifically would be causing this and if this is something that can be repaired (e.g. component replacement)...?

I’ve put a video of the noise here (hoping allowed to post link in this forum): 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JDe-nO07ninTQWawY6Os1bAB80K-bqUR/view?usp=sharing 

Shaun

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 22 November 2023, 22:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Ah - and also, from the video obviouslyI’ve taken off the outer shell as I wanted to investigate in case there was a loose cable or something!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Looks like the driver may be damaged.

Sonos can be cranky about user disassembly prior to seeking Sonos support but I’d try there and hope for the best.

Yes, looks/sounds like the mid-woofer is damaged & needs replacing - that’s just my guess though.