Skip to main content
Question

Play5 G1 roadmap for S2 App?

• 19 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Is there any roadmap to support the Play5 G1 in the S2 App?  

it would be very disappointing to have to maintain two apps and not leverage legacy hardware in more current whole home system. 

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @MrE-Man , thanks for your post and welcome to the Sonos Community!

In general we do not comment on our product or app development roadmap so I cannot say for sure that Play:5 gen 1 support in the newer Sonos app will never happen. However with the ever increasing differences in internal hardware capabilities between newer and older Sonos products, I would say that what you suggest is unlikely to happen. If you have a mix of newer and older components then using 2 separate versions of the Sonos app is one option, another option you may wish to consider would be making use of our Upgrade Program which allows you to redeem a discount from older products against the purchase of newer products from our online store.

Consider yourself lucky to have a system still on S1. Many here envy you!

S2 is broken in so many ways, I recommend to not buy any S2 only gear and stay on S1 as long as possible (you might want to fence it off (disable any firmware and controller updates) so Sonos can’t shut it down behind your back).