Play 5 gen2 blown bass

• 14 August 2022
  • 2 replies

After couple of times of switching from normal
sound to really low quality-blown speaker like
sound (only low frequencies) my play 5 is sounding like complete trash,
and i'm completely furious as i have used it very
little and is out of warranty of course. Has anyone
else had the same unfortunate experiance? What can i do? Support offered very little help. 

2 replies

@AdCiam,

I have hung around the forum here for a while and am struggling to think of any similar issue with the Play:5 (gen2). It’s certainly an extremely-rare reported issue, if there are any seen from a forum search?

How old is the speaker (from its serial number) and how long ago was it purchased? I understand that it was no longer manufactured after June 2020, so I guess it’s probably over two years old?

I guess the user community here will not be able to assist very much, but maybe search online to see if there are any local Sonos repairers near to where you are and perhaps give them a call, or maybe sell it for spares etc. That’s assuming you have not got any separate 3rd-party extended warranty cover for the speaker.

@AdCiam,

I have hung around the forum here for a while and am struggling to think of any similar issue with the Play:5 (gen2). It’s certainly an extremely-rare reported issue, if there are any seen from a forum search?

How old is the speaker (from its serial number) and how long ago was it purchased? I understand that it was no longer manufactured after June 2020, so I guess it’s probably over two years old?

I guess the user community here will not be able to assist very much, but maybe search online to see if there are any local Sonos repairers near to where you are and perhaps give them a call, or maybe sell it for spares etc. That’s assuming you have not got any separate 3rd-party extended warranty cover for the speaker.

No i have not any extended warranty. You are right i can’t find any similar issue. Last time i used it (6 months ago) it was having issue when connected to wifi but playing good with ethernet cable. Now it seems the app and pairing method are changed and i can’t do the same test i was doing back then. It could be a problem with wifi interferance or something similar. Anywhow the speaker was bought in april 2019, but i had to fly with it when i changed residency, and i’m afraid something could have happened at the airport security check? Other than that i was really really careful while carrying it.