Answered

Play 5 and Sony turntable with no sound (sometimes)

• 23 October 2022
  • 2 replies

okay folks… a bit of a mystery for me.

I have a Sony turntable connected to my Play 5. It worked perfectly for a year, but now there is no sound coming from the speaker. I haven’t changed any physical connections at all, however I did change my wifi router near the time this became an issue. But that shouldn’t make a difference I wouldn’t have thought… after all, my turntable is wired to the Play 5. Now there was a period of a couple of weeks where everything was working fine, but now the sound has disappeared again. Of more curiousness, I have just grouped my Play 5 to my Move… and when I play my turntable, there is no sound coming from the Play 5 but there is from the Move… so the signal is getting into the Play 5, but then nothing. When I play digital music, the Play 5 works perfectly fine. 

Bit of a mystery to me, any ideas? Again, have not changed any wired connection between the turntable or the Play 5… and when grouped with another sonos product, it proves the music is getting from the turntable to the Play 5 (just no sound from it).

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 October 2022, 07:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Couple of thoughts/experiments to try.

First, try a simple power cycle of your PLAY:5. Which generation of PLAY:5 is it? Are you running S1 or S2?

Second, double check the line in settings in the controller, and make sure that the line in is still designated to play in the ‘room’ that is the PLAY:5. If it is, switch it temporarily to play in the Roam’s room, wait a minute, then switch it back to the PLAY:5’s room.

If neither of those work, submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

thanks so much… followed your steps and worked. 😊