Answered

Play 1 unable to detect wireless network

• 19 June 2021
  • 9 replies

I have a Play:1 that won’t connect via WiFi after it was unplugged for some time

I’m using an Orbi WiFi system that’s outputting both 2.4 & 5Ghz. I have one other Play:1 and 2 x Play:5 speakers and they all connect fine to the same network. 

If I plug the speaker into the Orbi base unit via ethernet, it works fine. As soon as I disconnect ethernet and try to connect via WiFi, it doesn’t detect the network. It recently updated its software when connected via ethernet. 

This speaker was connected to the same WiFi network OK a few weeks ago but now it won’t connect. 

I’ve done the factory reset and checked everything. The speaker gets recognised by SONOS and connects fine (with the chime etc) but at the point where its trying to connect to the WiFi network, it says it can’t find it. 

I located the speaker right next to the Orbi base unit. Still no joy. As soon as I connect it via ethernet to the same base unit, its fine

Please help...this is driving me nuts!

icon

Best answer by julezee 22 June 2021, 04:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

This is likely a hardware issue. After the next connection failure, Submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number here. Refrain from Factory Reset because this will destroy some of the diagnostic data.

Thanks

SONOS staff has access to the diagnostic.

I think that it would be a good idea to submit two diagnostics. One with PLAY:1 wireless and then with PLAY:1 wired. Since PLAY:1 is not connected while wireless, there will probably be no associated diagnosticdata. With PLAY:1 wired, it will be able to participate in the diagnostic transmission.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @julezee 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It doesn’t seem like there’s an issue with the speaker itself, but with the access point it’s trying to connect to. Please reboot the access point.

You could also move the Pool Play:1 closer to the other speakers (and another access point) to verify it’s not the speaker at fault.

I hope this helps.

I've tried rebooting the access point. Everything else in the house connects to the network apart from this speaker. Therefore, we would have to assume its the speaker at fault. Its bizarre because the speaker can see the access point is available to connect to. Its just the connection fails every time on this one speaker. Note that it was working perfectly a few weeks ago, connected to the same access point. All that happened was that the speaker got disconnected from its power for some time. 

Sonos devices are rather different than every other network device, generally speaking. They maintain interconnections between themselves, and the router, and the controller, and the internet outside your home. Most devices do fewer and less complex connections. 

It’s not impossible for the speaker to be at fault in some way, just an extremely low chance of that. And in most cases, that would have shown up in the diagnostic you submitted. 

Since you speak about it connecting to an access point, rather than your main router directly, it makes me wonder if there was some ‘behind the scenes’ update to the software running this access point that for applied after the power came back up. 

If it were me, I’d double check to confirm if it’s the speaker or not by wiring one Sonos device to the root router, and let all my speakers switch over to SonosNet. If they all work, you know it isn’t the speaker, but some connection issue with the access point, as suggested by the Sonos rep who was able to look at the details in your diagnostic submission. 

I disconnected the entire system, did a factory reset on all devices. restarted the Orbi satellites, restarted the modem that the satellites are connected to. I wired all speakers to the Orbi master access point and connected each speaker one by one. Each speaker connected successfully. I then disconnected each speaker and ran them all via wifi

I was able to connect the Play: 1 to the wifi network so everything is now working as normal

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @julezee 

Good to hear! Thanks for updating us!