Answered

play 1 in garage... not connecting

• 30 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hey sound gurus.

Bought a play 1 for my father in law. He is trying to use it in the garage , which is about 10 metres away from the router. 

He has a play 3, and a playbar already working with rhe S2 app.

He got the new play 1 working fine with the others indoors. Soon as he plugged in the play 1 in the garage it wouldn't log onto the network. 

I know this is through 2 walls. But I'm quite surprised. Is it worth investing in a boost. And moving the boost closer to the outside wall that faces the garage? 

Any tips . I want to avoid range extenders 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 4 January 2023, 13:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Does your father in law have either the Playbar or Play:3 connected via ethernet or are they all wireless?

If you take a wi-fi device into the garage (Phone), can you access the internet via the wi-fi signal?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Devine84,

We want you to avoid range extenders as well, they can introduce problems into your system if not configured correctly and are not supported with Sonos systems.

I’d like to hear what the answers are to @UKMedia’s questions as well, are any other devices wired into the system and do you get Wi-Fi in the garage? If the Play:1 works in other parts of the house but not the garage, it seems like the Wi-Fi signal isn’t getting to the speaker in there.

I’d also suggest submitting a diagnostics and replying here with the confirmation number while why Play:1 is in the garage. If you have Wi-Fi in the garage but the Play:1 isn’t showing, a diagnostic might give more insight. 

Badge

We've sussed it now.... I asked him to run an extension lead and move the play 1 closer to the router. Halfway up the drive it lept into life.

So it's purely down to range. 

My plan is to get him to move his router closer to the window opposite the garage. And then it should work  , thanks all!

We've sussed it now.... I asked him to run an extension lead and move the play 1 closer to the router. Halfway up the drive it lept into life.

So it's purely down to range. 

My plan is to get him to move his router closer to the window opposite the garage. And then it should work  , thanks all!

That may not resolve the issue, depending on how the system is setup.  Hence why others were asking questions about your network.  If either the playbar or play:3 is wired to the router, than Sonos is using it’s own mesh network for connecting the Sonos speakers to your router, rather than using the router’s WiFi. In that case, the range issue is not about the distance between router and the play:1, and moving the router closer to the play:1 won’t make a difference.  The problem is the distance between the play:1 and the other Sonos speakers.  So the solution would be to either move the speakers closer together, or switched to what Sonos refers to as a ‘wireless setup’.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/check-if-sonos-is-in-a-wireless-or-wired-setup