Skip to main content

New to SONOS. Been using a pair of Yamaha MusicCast WX-030 and have been very happy with it. Until I chanced on a pair of SONOS 5 Gen 1 on facebook. Had the SONOS for a week in pair stereo mode with S1 and WOWWWWWWWWWWWW. I can understand why people spend $$$$$$$$ although I do not see myself spending so much on new SONOS gear. Lucky the pair I bought cleans-up nicely and sounds perfect.

Those speakers still sound good, and S1 is perfect to let them play flawlessly. I only exchanged mine for a Connect Amp back in the day because I preferred the aesthetics of my legacy speakers, when set up as a pair driven by the Connect Amp - which also is playing just fine on S1, with music from Spotify as well as from a ten year old NAS that has all my ripped CDs on it. Just because tech has moved on does not automatically mean it has resulted in an elevated listening experience.

Those speakers still sound good, and S1 is perfect to let them play flawlessly. I only exchanged mine for a Connect Amp back in the day because I preferred the aesthetics of my legacy speakers, when set up as a pair driven by the Connect Amp - which also is playing just fine on S1, with music from Spotify as well as from a ten year old NAS that has all my ripped CDs on it. Just because tech has moved on does not automatically mean it has resulted in an elevated listening experience.

Totally agree about older tech. Years ago I used to listen to music and had a set of NAD gear. Were very expensive back in 90s. Sold them when I moved overseas. Right now I am listening to Kenny G stored in my NAS. Don’t know about Connect Amp but will read up.

Don’t know about Connect Amp but will read up.

I would not bother - your stereo paired 5 units will sound as good as most speakers that a Connect Amp has the power to drive. All you may need to do is tune them via Trueplay, borrowing an iPhone to do this if necessary because Android devices will not do this. But once done, that tuning can be toggled off/on via Android, if you do not like the Sonos interpretation of what sounds best in your space.

Don’t know about Connect Amp but will read up.

I would not bother - your stereo paired 5 units will sound as good as most speakers that a Connect Amp has the power to drive. All you may need to do is tune them via Trueplay, borrowing an iPhone to do this if necessary because Android devices will not do this. But once done, that tuning can be toggled off/on via Android, if you do not like the Sonos interpretation of what sounds best in your space.

Oh so that is what trueplay is all about. Saw that in S1. I find SONOS bass is too heavy so had to tune it down from 10 to 6. Treble is all the way up to 10. Thanks.

IMO, Trueplay is the only worthwhile tweak that Sonos has done on the software side in a decade. And it is fun to do!

I have found it very useful to eliminate bass bloat in a play 1 + Sub set up, but it did not make a significant change if the Sub was not in the mix.

Trueplay will end leaving your EQ sliders in the centre positions allowing you to tweak further. Or, turn it off, and do all the EQ manually as you have done. Note also that the tuning is specific to where you have placed your speakers.

IMO, Trueplay is the only worthwhile tweak that Sonos has done on the software side in a decade. And it is fun to do!

I have found it very useful to eliminate bass bloat in a play 1 + Sub set up, but it did not make a significant change if the Sub was not in the mix.

Trueplay will end leaving your EQ sliders in the centre positions allowing you to tweak further. Or, turn it off, and do all the EQ manually as you have done. Note also that the tuning is specific to where you have placed your speakers.

You mean with after tuning with trueplay there will be more sliders other than existing bass and treble?

You mean with after tuning with trueplay there will be more sliders other than existing bass and treble?

No, those are quite enough as you may have seen in your old NAD gear. Trueplay will end with those back to zero - centre positions. For you to tweak those two then, if you still feel the need to tweak Trueplay tuning.