Skip to main content

I’ve just swapped my virgin hub3 for a hub5 and all was going welll until it came to setting Sonos up.

The new router had a different name but I didn’t think that would cause any problems but due to the fact that whilst unplugging my speakers I must have dislodged the network cable out of the back of the one wired speaker on my system it was a nightmare.

I had to go through loads of screens settings where it connected each of my devices in turn to the new router via wifi. I wasn’t sure why it was doing this as I didn’t realise the network cable had come out until I’d spent ages reconnecting all speakers to the router’s wifi.

Then afterwards I noticed the speaker network cable had come out so I plugged that back in and now that main speaker is showing up in the router as being connected via ethernet. But even though I’ve powered the other speakers off and back on again, they are still showing as being connected directly to the router via wifi - I would have expected them to join the Sonos mesh and so not show up in the wifi connected devices in the router?

How do I get them to join the Sonos Mesh?

You could try to give it some more time. Or remove the wifi credentials from the system.

Cheers for the reply.

I’ve actually since realised that I should be able to connect all speakers via ethernet without causing a network storm on this new Hub5 so trying that now :)

It’s good to see that with the Hub5 I can go back to wired connections 🙂 Having said that, having just one speaker wired on the Hub3 for years hardly caused me any problems either.

Lesson learned though - always check that you haven’t accidentally knocked a network cable out when unplugging the speakers from the mains!!