Skip to main content

New router destroyed Sonos system performance

• 8 June 2024
  • 9 replies

I have a Sonos system of various speakers around the house. The system was working alright, no drop outs, songs skipping on their own, the app was relatively responsive. Only issue would be a delay between the speakers when starting playback, but this was minor.

I replaced my old wireless mesh router system (Linksys) with a new one (ASUS) with the same SSID set up to try to get stronger signal and better performance. However, ever since the Sonos system has been a mess. It won’t connect to some speakers occasionally, playback skips songs on its own, stops randomly on some speakers, and the app is very unresponsive. It’s almost unusable.

I’ve tried common troubleshooting like factory resetting all speakers individually (took forever), binding speakers to specific nodes, rebooting the routers, rebooting Sonos, changing channels and other router settings (qos off, airtime fairness off, power saving options off), binding all speakers to a dedicated IP, and reinstalling the Sonos app. No improvement with any.

I’m not sure what else to try. I’ve submitted diagnostics (337534943) when I was experiencing issues.

I’d rather keep the new mesh system because otherwise it is performing better than the old system in all other regards.

9 replies

From what I have read from your description is it true or not that your problems started when you replaced your linksys with the Asus router ?Or is it the new app causing this ? 

Yes, used the new app with the old Linksys router for a while and it was fine before swapping the router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @djk57, I am also have Asus Mesh Wi-Fi and my Sonos gear works okay. Are your Sonos devices connecting over the 2.4 or 5GHz Wi-Fi band? The former has much better range and certainly has enough bandwidth for even lossless FLAC. (Though 2.4GHz may have more issues with congestion vis-a-vis your neighbors.) Given your desire to get your Asus router working, if you’ve not already tried changing the Wi-Fi band that could be a worthwhile experiment.

I did try that, I added the 5ghz network for the speakers that use it (Era 100 and Move) but it didn’t seem to help. Are there any particular settings in the ASUS router that need to be changed? I already disabled beam forming, roaming for the Sonos devices, assigned them static IPs, disabled the power saving setting, and bound them to the nearest node.

I remember having similar issues with the Linksys system a while back that seemed to gradually go away, but can’t remember anything I changed to fix them. They would flare up again occasionally when I had people over who joined the WiFi though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m using Cloudflare as the DNS on my router (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1). And the system works flawlessly. (Also a mix of 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections across my speakers, on TP-Link Deco mesh.)

I wonder if there is a correlation between DNS choice and Sonos WiFi functionality?

Those with issues who are able to access your DNS settings: what are you using on your router?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I recall something about airtime-fairness being an issue for Sonos so you might try that set to off.

Im having the same issue, replaced my router recently and had to reconnect all speakers. 
Ive had my arc and sub magically fall off the app after i installed it. Speakers wont pair, i cant rename items, huge delay in speaker volume and 90 percent of the time i cant get music to even play, i get a circle of death when choosing a station to play. Hugely disappointed in the new app release. 

Im having the same issue, replaced my router recently and had to reconnect all speakers. 
Ive had my arc and sub magically fall off the app after i installed it. Speakers wont pair, i cant rename items, huge delay in speaker volume and 90 percent of the time i cant get music to even play, i get a circle of death when choosing a station to play. Hugely disappointed in the new app release. 

Anytime you replace a router, you need to do a full network refresh or you’ll start getting IP conflicts when the new router hands out IP addresses that are still in use from the last router.  Do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Obliger Sonos a se connecter en 2.4Ghz quand le routeur offre 2.4 et 5 Ghz .

Je veux utiliser le 2.4 Ghz pour traverser des murs épais (vieille maison)

Moderator edit:
Google Translate-

Force Sonos to connect to 2.4Ghz when the router offers 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

I want to use 2.4 Ghz to pass through thick walls (old house)