Answered

New ERA 100s, cannot setup Alexa

I am unable to setup Alexa, or Sonos voice control for that matter, but Alexa is the main issue. Each time it goes from ‘Sign in to Amazon’ to ‘There was a problem adding Alexa’. It’s on my network, as I can play music. I did a factory reset, but no luck. This is very frustrating for a new product and new Sonos user. Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 April 2023, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

This could be a number of things, but I would first check and disable any security software on any compatible Sonos mobile controller device, such as VPN client or firewall App etc. Ensure the device meets these requirements.

Maybe try removing the Alexa App and downloading it again and log back into your Amazon account and check your Sonos online profile HERE has the correct Country setting.

If the problems persist then try a different DNS in your router settings - I suggest using the Google public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

I tried it again and it connected, but when I ask Alexa to play something on Spotify, it says ‘now playing...’ but it doesn’t actually play

Maybe try removing/reinstalling the Sonos skill in the Amazon Alexa App and see if that fixes it first of all - if not, then also double check that the Spotify service in the Amazon Alexa App and Sonos App are each logged in with the same Spotify account credentials. The Spotify service should also be set as the default service for music in the Alexa App.

Thanks I will try those steps

No luck. This is ridiculously painful. I am about ready to return them…..

I’m able to “play [one of my playlists] from spotify”.  Success on the first try. You mentioned that you can play music. What is the source of this music?

Are you able to execute other Alexa commands, such as “alexa volume up”?

I was not actively using a Spotify client at the time a asked Alexa to play. When I checked the Android Spotify App it was aware of the currently playing track.

Go to the Spotify App and play a track on your phone. Near the lower left corner in the app there is an icon you can use to start playing on another device. The ERA’s should be visible there and you should be able to transfer play to them. This will verify that Spotify can play on the ERA’s.

If you can use your phone to play on the ERA’s, but not Alexa, start checking silly stuff -- such as the ERA microphone turned OFF. 

It plays from my phone. Alexa works great as an assistant, but not to play Spotify. I removed everything, did a factory reset and ensured the same spotify account is on Alexa and the Sonos. Still says ‘ Playing on Spotify’, but I hear nothing. Spotify is aware of the song being played and if I switch it to my non Sonos bluetooth speakers, it plays. FWIW, I have been in IT for 25 years, so I am tech savvy, but this doesn’t make sense. Enough for today, I may try again tomorrow.

Refrain from Factory Reset because it rarely resolves fundamental issues and it destroys diagnostic data.

Can you use the SONOS controller App to play Spotify? If so, can you then use Alexa to give SONOS simple commands, such as “Alexa, volume up” while music is playing?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I saw similar glitch, albeit with BBC Sounds.

New ERA 100 setup as per wizard in App, all completed OK.

I could use Alexa on on ERA100, eg ‘Alexa, what is the time’, Alexa on ERA would respond with correct time, so the ‘Alexa’ part of the ERA100 working OK.

I could play music from the Sonos App OK, so Sonos Speaker OK.

However, using BBC Sounds, would ‘black hole’ the sound, I would say “Alexa, open BBC sounds’, would respond ‘Hello, what would you like to hear’, I respond ‘BBC radio 6’, Alexa on ERA100 would respond ‘playing BBC radio 6 music’ *BUT* nothing from speaker.

Closer inspection on Alexa App, the ERA100 was discovered as an Alexa device, not speaker, All devices in the Alexa App did not show a speaker icon for ERA100. So The Alexa part was working, but did not have a speaker associated to play the sound.

‘Alexa, discover devices’ did not work.

I disabled Sonos Skill in Alexa App, then reenable Skill forced a new Alexa discovery process, and this *DID* discover the ERA100 as a speaker.

My advise is if you are having issues, disable Sonos Skill (as previously mentioned by Ken), reenable Sonos Skill to force a new discovery. If this still fails check the Alexa App, Devices, All devices, and check the ERA has a speaker icon, if not, repeat the disable/enable again. *DONT* reset device (as mentioned by buzz)

I have seen this before with discovery of non-Sonos devices from Alexa, especially if you have multiple Alexa devices, probably due to the way devices are discovered / cached on multiple Alexa devices.

HTH.

Same exact issue as the OP here.  I have an existing Sonos One, and just received an Era 100.  I already tried disabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and re-adding the skill to the speakers. Sonos One added back fine.  Sonos Era 100 did not.  I continue to get an error when going to the sign in page for Amazon.  I find it pretty interesting that the same exact flow works fine for the One.  I’m planning to do some more troubleshooting tonight when I’m home from work, but this is definitely not a great start.  

Same exact issue as the OP here.  I have an existing Sonos One, and just received an Era 100.  I already tried disabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and re-adding the skill to the speakers. Sonos One added back fine.  Sonos Era 100 did not.  I continue to get an error when going to the sign in page for Amazon.  I find it pretty interesting that the same exact flow works fine for the One.  I’m planning to do some more troubleshooting tonight when I’m home from work, but this is definitely not a great start.  

I would surmise that part of the Amazon integration with Sonos requires that the new Sonos speaker be recognized on whatever Amazon cloud server you happen be connected to do during discovery, and afterwards.  If Amazon hasn’t completed setup of the Era speakers on all their servers it would explain why discovery always works on the established Sonos One, and works for some and not others with the Era speakers.  Since Amazon would need to address this, but consumers would typically view it as a Sonos probably, they possibly aren’t as concerned about resolving the issue quickly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @taracatac et al

This issue should no longer be happening. If you continue to experience issues with Alexa on your Era 100s, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

I hope this helps.

So it finally started working, after removing and re-adding the Alexa skill. Now when I say ‘Alexa’ it chimes, the indicator light turns on for a second, then goes off, so Alexa doesn’t do anything. Very frustrating 

So it finally started working, after removing and re-adding the Alexa skill. Now when I say ‘Alexa’ it chimes, the indicator light turns on for a second, then goes off, so Alexa doesn’t do anything. Very frustrating 

Maybe try … ”Alexa, play some music” that’s assuming you’ve setup a default (paid) music subscription service in the Amazon Alexa App and have that same service/account installed in the Sonos App aswell.

Unfortunately no luck. I went through all the guides but nothing worked. A factory reset got it working again

I'm having the same issue. Incredibly frustrated right now. All of my other speakers work just fine but this one only plays music through the app. Anyone solve this yet?

I'm having the same issue. Incredibly frustrated right now. All of my other speakers work just fine but this one only plays music through the app. Anyone solve this yet?

See post above. User appears to have resolved their issue.

See post above. User appears to have resolved their issue.

Yeach, I've done all those things and still nothing. That's why I thought I'd ask...

Yeach, I've done all those things and still nothing. That's why I thought I'd ask...

So what have you tried so far and what are you seeing/hearing? What music services are you using within Alexa/Sonos Apps and what type of subscription is in use? 

Have you removed/re-installed the Sonos Skill and checked your Sonos online profile to ensure that United States is set as your Country setting?