Network speed

• 13 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

HI,

I have a mixed wired and wireless system across four rooms.  I note that the Access Point reports that the Play 5 that is directly wired to it is pulling the network speed down to 1Mbps as opposed to the rest of the wired system (Play 5s and a Beam speakers via switches) is reporting 1Gbps capable. 

Are Sonos network devices really that slow?

Andrew

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The Ethernet ports on Sonos are 10/100 Mbps.

Try with only one Sonos device wired. It’s possible that having multiple Sonos wired that you are creating a broadcast storm on your network.

What type of switch are you using?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks Mr T.

I have a small net gear switch behind each of two remote speakers (One on each side of the single floor house to the central hub) The switch  splits the incoming network cable to a speaker and a WiFi mesh extender.

It will be debatable as to whether I can take these remote speakers effectively off the wired network, just because they are remote. At last test the speakers are more reliable wired.

I'll experiment tomorrow.

Andrew

Consider the possibility that the wired network connection to the slow PLAY:5 is not working. If this is the case, the PLAY:5 will connect with another SONOS unit and may even be providing the network connection to the mesh extender.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks Buzz and Mr T

Yes I had considered cabling or connection all plate issues and this and went to replacing the two wall plates - retesting . Then bypassing the lot with a direct loose cable. Neither removed the issue.

In my nieve way ( switches involved in all the other routes) I then took a spare switch (Netgear 1Gbps) I had bought for another purpose and just placed it the line to the “slow” speaker.  The Access Point reported all Good!  So I guess the access point is now seeing the switch and not the speaker.

The whole system had been rock solid working wired to the first speaker in each room and where there is a second (sub for example) this is wifi locally from the wired speaker.

I have managed to get the “slow” speaker to operate wirelessly as well. So we’ll see how we go between this and the wired (via the extra switch) solutions.

It’s been an interesting exercise and learning experience.  I guess the access point is nieve in its own way in only looking at the first device - a 1Gbps switch - and not beyond.

Thank you guys.

Andrew