Answered

my Sonos S1 keeps crashing.

• 28 May 2023
  • 6 replies

I have seven play fives first generation and one sub and lately the app has been crashing, I’ve done everything that they recommend resetting my server my router, and restarting my app on my phone, and it does it again.

Everything‘s been updated and I have an amplify router so it definitely reaches to the garage. What the heck is going on? Is there anything it’s all updated to date and still plays for a little bit and crashes

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 May 2023, 00:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Is the storage on your phone almost full? If so, clear up some storage.

Also try deleting and reinstalling the Sonos app.

And if possible, try wiring one Play:5 directly to the router with an ethernet cable.

On your AMPLIFY are you using mesh points? The mesh points have the ability to shift the SONOS units from one access point to another, sometimes changing channels. Early S1 SONOS units don’t behave well in this environment.  Wiring a SONOS unit will allow SONOS to build its own private mesh that is very stable. If you dig around in the AMPLIFY setup you should be able to reduce or eliminate this channel hopping and transfer between access points.

It’s best if you use 20Mhz channel 1, 6, or 11 for everything using that band.

I don’t have a mesh set up, it’s just the tower, I have a small place 800sq feet. The garage is directly below it. I may just hard wire them to prevent losing service in my phone has plenty of room. 

Sometimes it’ll play well and sometimes it just crashes. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled. The app seems to be working OK now, but I’ll crash or just stop mid song and then start playing again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you using a Bridge? They are prone to intermittent failure after a few years.

Yes the 1gen does require a bridge, should I just get a new one? I was thinking about that too. 

No, it no longer requires a BRIDGE. Plug your Ethernet cable into a speaker, unplug and recycle the BRIDGE, it’s likely the thing causing your issue. 

If you can’t reach an Ethernet cable to a speaker, you can go into the network setting in your controller, and just have the speakers connect to your Wi-Fi signal…but you’d still want to / need to retire that BRIDGE, as long as it is connected, the speakers will be trying to connect to it.