Answered

My sonos network doesn't work any more

• 2 March 2024
  • 2 replies

• Contributor II
  • 2 replies

Only one of my speakers works at a time now.

I have had seven or eight Sonos speakers for ten years or more but now they do not work (all have been upgraded to Sonos 2).

I am very technical and three days on I have tried all the obvious solutions, eg resetting each device, rebooting everything, reconfiguring subnet, removing mesh network, but it seems that these speakers are just expensive bricks now. 

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas ?

A mate suggested that Sonos cannot cope with the two wavebands on WiFi and this was the problem. The only causality I by have is that I switched from iPhone to Pixel and that's when my problems started.

This is mad....

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 March 2024, 21:30

View original

2 replies

Sounds like, at least potentially, you have multiple issues going on, exacerbated by resetting each device. Let’s try to deal with one at a time, and get through them to get to your system working. 

Open up your Sonos S2 controller. At least one Sonos device is showing up? Unplug all other Sonos devices from power. Connect that one (and only one) device to your router with an Ethernet cable. Give the system a few minutes to recognize the new connection, and switch over to SonosNet. Then plug back  in the next Sonos device. It should find the SonosNet network (well, except if it is a Roam, Move, or Era speaker, but you didn’t say you had any of those, just speakers you’ve had for ten years, long before these were made), and connect. If it doesn’t, go ahead and factory reset it, then use the ‘add a device’ process in the S2 controller to add it to the existing system. Do this process for each of the rest of your speakers.

Once all speakers are reconnected, you can go in to the Sonos controller, and set the network information, making sure it matched with the Sonos Network Requirements FAQ.  You can then remove the Ethernet cable from the one device you wired if you want (although I would leave it wired, and skip this step). 

Once all of this is done, let us know what other issues you’re running in to.

Just as a note for others, as I suspect you’ve found out, doing a factory reset erases all information, including streaming companies and playlists from the Sonos speakers. Since you’re (hopefully) starting with a device that hasn’t been reset, each speaker will populate copies of that data from that un-reset device. If you’ve reset all of them, though, you will have erased all that data, and need to re-enter it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

All too often folks doing factory resets don’t add the reset speaker back to their other speakers but set it up as a separate system.

If you did that you need to pick one Sonos as your master, power down the rest. Factory reset ONE and add it to the one you have chosen as your master using the “add to system” menus. Do the rest, one at a time.