Answered

Multiple (100-200) users

• 18 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello! 

we are planning to install 4 speakers ( 2 stereo pairs ) to  private gym. There is going to be between 100 to 200 users and is possible to use system by their own sonos app without registering and if they wanna play all music from Spotify or Apple Music is this possible?

icon

Best answer by JuhaFIN 20 September 2023, 10:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JuhaFIN 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

What you describe (100 - 200 users with Sonos apps) is not possible - each Sonos system can accept up to a maximum of 32 controllers.

Instead, it may be better to get each user to use either AirPlay (from Apple devices) or Spotify Connect. Each will allow users on the same network as the speakers to play from any non-Sonos app (in the case of AirPlay), or from within the Spotify app.

Please note that once a Spotify app has linked to a Sonos system, it need not be on the same network. Therefore, to avoid possible issues, the session should be ended from within the Spotify app, or another source must be played on the speaker to break the connection - otherwise, a user in another location may try to play Spotify on their device and it plays instead on your Sonos which they will be unable to hear, so are likely to turn up the volume.

Another solution is to have a Bluetooth-compatible Sonos speaker in the system which can share the feed to the other rooms - Roam, Era 100, Era 300 or the upcoming Move 2. Then anyone - using any kind of phone and any streaming app - can play to Sonos. Move (1) cannot share its Bluetooth feed with other speakers, however (it’s the only Bluetooth-compatible Sonos speaker not able to do so).

I hope this helps.

There’s also the new option that you may want to contact the folks here:

Although I suspect @Corry P response to be accurate. 

Hi @JuhaFIN 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

What you describe (100 - 200 users with Sonos apps) is not possible - each Sonos system can accept up to a maximum of 32 controllers.

Instead, it may be better to get each user to use either AirPlay (from Apple devices) or Spotify Connect. Each will allow users on the same network as the speakers to play from any non-Sonos app (in the case of AirPlay), or from within the Spotify app.

Please note that once a Spotify app has linked to a Sonos system, it need not be on the same network. Therefore, to avoid possible issues, the session should be ended from within the Spotify app, or another source must be played on the speaker to break the connection - otherwise, a user in another location may try to play Spotify on their device and it plays instead on your Sonos which they will be unable to hear, so are likely to turn up the volume.

Another solution is to have a Bluetooth-compatible Sonos speaker in the system which can share the feed to the other rooms - Roam, Era 100, Era 300 or the upcoming Move 2. Then anyone - using any kind of phone and any streaming app - can play to Sonos. Move (1) cannot share its Bluetooth feed with other speakers, however (it’s the only Bluetooth-compatible Sonos speaker not able to do so).

I hope this helps.

Thank you for very nice answer!

I see couple problems here to our use case: Android phones if they wanna play Tizen or Youtube music. This only because Sonos dosent support Chrome cast to play any music from Android system. IOS there is no problems thanks to Airplay :)

And my message i ment by users: they are member of this “private Gym” where anyone can go 24/7 by them self and use speakers there.

And of course this “spotify connect” is maybe problem if people forget to stop playing music after leaving place :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JuhaFIN 

I mentioned Bluetooth at the end because Android doesn’t support AirPlay. And, I agree with the Spotify comment - people have enough trouble with unbroken connections when it’s just a house guest. I assume in a gym it would be much worse, but I was giving you your options that would fit your stated requirements.

Ultimately, with music systems in business locations, the music tends to be controlled by the owners and not the 200 customers per day who come in. Bruce’s suggestion above is one option meant exactly for your situation, just not the exact use-case you described (your customers would not be in charge of the music).

I hope this helps.

Hi, 

@JuhaFIN How many people do you expect will use the app at the same time?

@Corry P If there's no more than 32 people using the app at the same time than there's no problem or am I missing something here? 

Hi, 

@JuhaFIN How many people do you expect will use the app at the same time?

@Corry P If there's no more than 32 people using the app at the same time than there's no problem or am I missing something here? 

Only 1 or 2 same time but problem with app is users own music. App shows controller Spotify etc accounts…

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Audiophile Phil 

I looked this up for clarification and found the following statement:

There is no set limit for Sonos Controllers in one HouseHold, except to say this: "You can have up to 32 controllers controlling 1 Player or 1 controller controlling up to 32 Players."

• The number of controllers is limited in our implementation by the number of UPnP subscriptions that our ZonePlayers will support for a single UPnP service.

So you may well be correct there - it sounds like the maximum is 32 concurrent controllers, not 32 known controllers. Apologies for the inaccuracy.

However, if you give 32 people control over 2 music zones, I don’t think anything would get played for very long!

I still don’t think it would be a good idea to give all customers access to the system - especially as this means they would have to have more than guest access on the WiFi, as if there are other devices on the WiFi too, it could be a security issue. You may also get noise complaints from neighbours.

@Corry P thanks, if there are 1-2 users at the same time I don't think the number of users should be an issue, but I agree with you on the security concerns. 

@JuhaFIN With a pre-installed Spotify account you can access any Spotify songs, radios and public playlists. Your guests can make their own playlists available. Why not provide 1-2 iPads of your own with guided access with the Sonos or Spotify App pre-installed? https://support.apple.com/HT202612