Answered

Mono Sound from Vinyl Player

• 5 December 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hey everyone, my current set up is an Era 100 with an Audio-Technica AT-LP60X-GM connected with a line in (3.5 mm cord) from the turntable to the Sonos adapter into the speaker. Sound is good, but I am only getting mono sound (right side). I am not getting stereo sound. What would I be doing wrong?

Can I go line in (3.5mm cable) from the turn table right into the Sonos adapter? Or are there other cables I should be using to split the left & right, then bring them back together in the 3.5mm jack the Sonos needs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 December 2023, 03:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Make sure that the 3.5mm plug is fully seated in the socket. If possible swap left and right inputs to the 3.5mm adapter. If the problem moves, the 3.5mm cable and ERA 100 are vindicated.

Badge

Make sure that the 3.5mm plug is fully seated in the socket. If possible swap left and right inputs to the 3.5mm adapter. If the problem moves, the 3.5mm cable and ERA 100 are vindicated.

Problem is the same with the cable swapped ends. It is an old cable I found, I have a new one on the way. But there should be no problems 3.5mm from player to Era? Turn table came with a 3.5mm cable to RCA cable (assuming this is to send directly to speakers non-Sonos). 

Problem is the same with the cable swapped ends. It is an old cable I found, I have a new one on the way. But there should be no problems 3.5mm from player to Era? Turn table came with a 3.5mm cable to RCA cable (assuming this is to send directly to speakers non-Sonos). 

Have you got another audio source you can try with the Era speaker line-in, like an MP3 player, or CD player etc?

Make sure the end of your currently used cable has two rings (often black, or red) and not just one on it at the 3.5mm end. If it’s just one, that means the cable you’re using takes two inputs, and combines them to one. If it has two rings, that’s the indication it should be giving you stereo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d suspect the cable myself. You can check it with a multi-meter to see if all three conductors are intact.

I’d just pick up a new cable for five bucks. You could also drop a hundred bucks on an audiophile version that will sound the same.

This is a well rated one but you can get nice to have features still in the under twenty bucks range.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004G7Q56G/ref=sr_1_26

Turn table came with a 3.5mm cable to RCA cable (assuming this is to send directly to speakers non-Sonos). 

You could use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable.

Badge

Make sure the end of your currently used cable has two rings (often black, or red) and not just one on it at the 3.5mm end. If it’s just one, that means the cable you’re using takes two inputs, and combines them to one. If it has two rings, that’s the indication it should be giving you stereo. 

This is the answer. I had a mono 3.5mm cord. I got a new cable and made sure it was stereo and problem is solved. I am blown away this was the issue, did not realize mono cables existed. Thanks for the help everyone!

This is the answer. I had a mono 3.5mm cord. I got a new cable and made sure it was stereo and problem is solved. I am blown away this was the issue, did not realize mono cables existed. Thanks for the help everyone!

Happens more often than you’d think.

Like to me ;)

It is the voice of personal experience !