Answered

Make the system work even if some of the speakers are off

• 29 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I have been using Sonos devices in vairous rooms of my house : Arc + Sub + 2 One in the living room, a pair of One in 3 other rooms…

The device that is monitoring the use of my solar panels turns off the sockets in the rooms where nobody is. Hence my Sonos system is most of the time incomplete (with disconnected speakers).

In this situation, the Sonos App struggles and takes a while before letting me play music and then does not run smoothly…

Would you please consider this use case and make it work better ?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 October 2023, 00:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What problems exactly do you experience? Is it the Sonos devices restarting that take too long for you? What would you want Sonos do - especially since Sonos speakers are meant to be always on (while powering down to a low energy state after aa few minutes of not being used)?

I submitted a separate topic about numerous dropouts with a mesh wifi… and I noted that the situation worsens when all the speakers are not powered.

I also happen to have a slow internet connection that sometimes leads to interrupting a song and abruptly switching to another one while displaying an error message (in the Sonos app) : “lost connection with Spotify” : this situation also seems more frequent when all the speakers are not powered...

These are the kind of problems I encounter...

Are your SONOS units wireless or wired to the network?

@buzz 

Thanks for asking.

None of my devices is wired.

Which wireless mesh are you using?

I quite regularly power some Sonos devices off/on all the time and don’t have issues with the Sonos App - it just shows them as either online, or offline. (see example screenshot attached)…

It’s also possible to hide any Sonos device when it’s offline (requires account login credentials).

@Ken_Griffiths 

In the app, I see them on or off as well and could also hide them if I wanted to. I see no specific issue about this visual interface.

@buzz 

I use a TPLink Archer AX55 router with mesh extenders. The Sonos devices spread across the house so probably use different extenders.

@Ken_Griffiths

In the app, I see them on or off as well and could also hide them if I wanted to. I see no specific issue about this visual interface.

@buzz

I use a TPLink Archer AX55 router with mesh extenders. The Sonos devices spread across the house so probably use different extenders.

I would set the TP-Link devices to all use the same ‘fixed’ non-overlapping WiFi channel. Select either channel 1, 6 or 11 for the 2.4Ghz band and set a channel-width of 20Mhz only.  Ensure the Hubs are at least 1 metre away from your Sonos devices and see if that resolves the issue.