Answered

Linking Era 100 over wifi and using line in to play vinyl around the house

Hello, 

I am looking at getting a couple of Era 100 speakers. I have a record player with a line out, and wondered if plugged into one speaker will it connect/play across all other speakers around the house? 

I’m looking at the best/cheapest way to listen to my vinyl in multiple rooms. And this looks like it could be an easy work around for someone who is not very technical. 

Any advice would be appreciated! 

Ian.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 19 June 2023, 18:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The Sonos Line-In can be a source for any and all Sonos devices in your system.

Badge

Unless I have made an error in configuring line in setting it looks as if I still need pre amp before I can get any volume from the record player into the era 100. At 100 max volume toucan just beghng to hear the audio track. I thought this was something I double checked for prior to ordering and I did not see any mention of continuing to need my Yamaha receiver with phono input/output. My record player has pre out rca jacks that line into the sonos usb c sonos line in adapter  3.5 Jack then along the c then into the speaker. Turned up and adjusted input setting in speaker but the slightest sound plays. I’ll give it whirl with the amp connected. 

Sonos is always expecting a line level input.

Some turntables have built in pre-amps that can provide that, others rely on the pre-amp built in to the receiver they connect to (and are labeled phono inputs on the receiver). If your turntable does not have a built in pre-amp, you’ll need to buy one to sit between the turntable and the Sonos.

Badge

Thank you for your reply.  One more thing, once I connected my phono player to my receiver and began to play, I then tried grouping my other rooms but am finding the signal to be mono. In order to get stereo playback when grouped I then need an additional speaker and additional line in connector attached to the respective audio channel?  Odd, as I have a stereo connection L & R into the additional AUX line in connector.  Aside from the obvious of getting new Play 5’s or a SONOS Amp.  I was hoping to limit all this jumping and jumping of products and line in.  Meh.

Each line-in is a stereo source.  You do not need to connect to two line-ins for stereo.  Make sure you are using a stereo mini plug for the connection.

Badge

Thanks again, your response came thru before I could delete.  I had a bad RCA in, swapped it out for a new one and its all good now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Unless I have made an error in configuring line in setting it looks as if I still need pre amp before I can get any volume from the record player into the era 100. At 100 max volume toucan just beghng to hear the audio track. I thought this was something I double checked for prior to ordering and I did not see any mention of continuing to need my Yamaha receiver with phono input/output. My record player has pre out rca jacks that line into the sonos usb c sonos line in adapter  3.5 Jack then along the c then into the speaker. Turned up and adjusted input setting in speaker but the slightest sound plays. I’ll give it whirl with the amp connected. 

If your turntable works correctly plugged into your receiver's PHONO jacks then it does not have a pre-amp or it is switched out.

An easy test is to move the cables from PHONO  to CD on the receiver, if it sounds good there you have a pre-amp in the turntable and it is switched on.

Hello there,

I would like to play vinyl on Era 100 too and I would like to know, is it only working with the Sonos USB C to jack or I can use an other one ? 

Because I tried to connect everything and play from the Audio Technica LP60X but it didn’t work… 

Thank you so much if you have the time to answer and help me ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You need to use the Sonos adaptor. 

Hello there,

I would like to play vinyl on Era 100 too and I would like to know, is it only working with the Sonos USB C to jack or I can use an other one ? 

Because I tried to connect everything and play from the Audio Technica LP60X but it didn’t work… 

The Sonos adapter is analog to digital in.  Generic adapters are digital to analog out.

Hello there,

The Sonos adapter is analog to digital in.  Generic adapters are digital to analog out.

Oh ok I thought the Apple one I have would be working… now I understand. Thank you for your response !