Skip to main content

Thoughts?

After the S2 controller release my entire system quit working. Many customer service call later I just decided to wait until the S1 downgrade was release. My system has been idle ever since, I downgraded most of my equipment yesterday (Play 3, Play 5, Playbase, Amp, and Move). What wouldn’t downgrade was my sub (gen 3) and my one SL. 

There’s no way the S2 app is getting anywhere near my system.

Should I attempt to sell the sub and One SL? Or hold onto them for some magical S3 controller in the future that will make everything play nice? 

Also, all these ran together on the original controller, why won’t they now? Any ideas?

Should I attempt to sell the sub and One SL? Or hold onto them for some magical S3 controller in the future that will make everything play nice? 

Also, all these ran together on the original controller, why won’t they now? Any ideas?

To answer in reverse order: a setup comprising S1 and S2 systems are two completely different systems. Using the S1 controller you can’t see the S2 devices, and vice versa. In the “original” controller they were all part of a single system. Sonos did not update the S1 app to support their newer products. 

With every expectation the app will get to a reliable, functional and properly responsive state: yes - keep  your Sub and One SL and be patient for a while. You could even use the One SL and Sub as a test bed to see how future app releases are progressing. 

If you plan to stay on S1 I would sell the OneSL and Sub gen 3. Get whatever value you can out of them and if you want to replace them get a Gen2 Sub and a One Gen2 or whatever S1 speaker you want. I don’t see anything compelling in the app that makes it better than the old model, just my opinion.

Thanks for responses. I have my eyes peeled for a Gen 1 or 2 sub (reasonably priced).

Shame, software turned them into bricks.

Thanks for responses. I have my eyes peeled for a Gen 1 or 2 sub (reasonably priced).

Shame, software turned them into bricks.

If you were closer I’d happily swap mine for a Gen 3.